Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey all you central Texas islanders. I'm out of Houston but I try to go to Canyon Lake a least once a year. AIChris, you an I sailed out of Freeport together. I went by Offshoreweekends on the radio. Let me know it you you guys want to get together in one of the central Texas lakes. I'm game. Below is our video from our last outing at Canyon Lake. What an awesome place to sail an Island. My neighbor has two AIs and I'm sure they would join in.

Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm in north Austin and often take a Revo13 and soon a TI out to lake Travis.
Windy Point (Bob Wentz park ), day use only, is a good launch point but they sometimes close the sandbar after it rains and you can't drive a car down to the water beyond the end of the closed boat ramp. They have problems with people getting stuck in small vehicles. I sometimes take the Revo down the closed ramp on a cart. It's a workout but not that bad. Not sure I could do this with the TI but I'm going to find out ( see my Third Wheel posts ). Also, because the lake is so low you need to watch out for submerged stumps near shore. Hippie Hollow, Texas's only clothing optional park is nearby so you may see naked people or a party barge full of naked people heading there.
Arkansas Bend is a great park on Travis that you can camp at. Like Bob Wentz you can drive down the boat ramp to the sand bar ( more like a gravel\rock bar ) and launch. You can also primitive camp right by the water. I have seen people launch small fishing boats there by backing right into the lake. I'm not sure I would try this without a 4WD truck.
Pace Bend is similar but on the other side of the lake from me so I don't often go there.
The above parks are the only ones on Travis that I have found it easy to launch at with the current lake conditions. The nice thing is that it's difficult to launch trailered motor boats so the boating traffic is pretty light and mostly just the marina based boats. These boaters are pretty considerate of Kayakers also.
- Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like there are enough central Texas Islanders interested in getting together. Let's post up here if any of us are heading out on the water next spring. Looking forward to it!

Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello again! I will be sure to post up when I am heading out, although usually when I go to the lake it's a last minute decision based on wind and available free time. :-)

Yes, people get their car stuck on the beach at Windy Point all the time. I once sunk my VW Jetta in the mud after loading up the AI on top and turning around to drive out. The park rangers will not pull you out and there was nobody else left on the beach. The park closed and I had to leave the car with the AI on top out there until the next morning. I had to call my wife to drive me home, and go out the next day with a tow truck.

I traded the Jetta for a Ford pickup and got a kayak trailer. Last year I used my tow strap to help pull some other unfortunate fellow out of the mud.

I might have to change my handle, since I've got a new TI on order. Happy New Year, and see you next spring!

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know this topic is a few years old, but I wanted to see if we can gauge/resurrect the interest in pulling together a Central Texas AI/TI get together, race or regatta.

I have a 2015 TI Hibiscus Red, and I am regularly out at Lake Travis. I typically launch from Bob Wentz Park, but can meet at any of the other boat ramps. I like Bob Wentz because it is restricted to non-motorized water craft only. So, it is just sailors, kayakers and canoes. It is also very low key with plenty of parking.

Please let me know if anyone has an interest in a AI/TI group outing. If there is anyone that is interested is a more simple meetup some afternoon, I would be open to that too.

The Optimist expects it to change...
The Realist adjusts the sail.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I go to Bob Wentz most of the time and have sailed from there to Arkansas Bend and back. Now that the lake is full of water the launch conditions and boating traffic are quite different so I try to go during the week most of the time.
Watch out for what the Sheriffs Dept. Deputies call "SPORS" (stupid people on rentals ) ! The locals that own their boats are usually pretty courteous.
I have launched at Mansfield Dam park and although the ramp is also used by motorized boats the ramp is open 24/7 so it's nice if you want to be on the water for sunrise or sunset. It's a steeper ramp though and a workout if you are launching from a cart.

Chris S.