Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a set of eight stairs I have to go down to get to my dock. No way around the stairs. I'd like to get advice from the forum on the best way to move a 12' or 14' Hobie Kayak up and down the stairs.

I don't think sliding the kayak up and down on its bottom is best. Not just worried about damage to the kayak or stairs, but about the kayak tipping to one side and dropping out equipment placed inside of it.

I think one of the kayak carts that goes through the scuppers could work. Thinking the wheels with treads are better than the wheels without.

I haven't tried to move a kayak this way, but I'm sure others have and can share their experiences and what works best.

Thanks!

Evan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think large soft tires would do the trick. I built a scupper cart for mine, and have wide axles so the tires sit outside the kayak instead of under it and the wheels can be large enough. I haven't had to drag mine up stairs yet, but I would probably do something like fit a split pool noodle around the tire for cushioning going up the stairs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:58 am 
Site Admin

How about a PVC slide?

Mount a couple pipes (like train rails) to a frame of some kind? Spaced just wide enough to fit the bottom of the hull. Place the frame on the steps when needed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
How about a PVC slide?

Mount a couple pipes (like train rails) to a frame of some kind? Spaced just wide enough to fit the bottom of the hull. Place the frame on the steps when needed.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe an aluminum ladder or build up a "PVC ladder"... how long are these stairs?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

quote="mmiller"]How about a PVC slide?

Mount a couple pipes (like train rails) to a frame of some kind? Spaced just wide enough to fit the bottom of the hull. Place the frame on the steps when needed.[/quote]
That's the very first thing that came to mind as well with a heat gun you can bend the pipes to make the transition a little easier at top and bottom.