Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any rule of thumb for the correct depth of stabilizer floats? I've just build stabilizers for my Hobie Sport Mirage Kayak out of four lobster pot floats and PVC.

Obviously I will adjust them by sitting in the kayak in the water but wonder if they should be

A. Just above the water when I'm sitting in the kayak on the water with all my gear, anchor, fish finder, battery etc.

B. Barely skimming the water

C. Or something else?

I haven't glued the vertical PC piece from the T''s between the floats yet so I can cut them the right length after testing. Would there be any advantage to being able to adjust the depth with pins as in depending on the load on the kayak?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think it's a personal preference depending on what type of water you'll be in.

I installed a set of DYI stabilizers on a kayak I had once using PVC and they worked great but I didn't extend them that far out away from the kayak. On mine the distance from the inside of the stabilizer float to the kayak was only about 2". This way I could still paddle without interference and the PVC was strong enough to support the stabilizer under any condition. If you extend them far enough away from the kayak to be able to paddle the PVC will be too weak and break.

Regarding your question I would set them up so they are just barely touching the water when your kayak is fully loaded or loaded as it will be during normal use. Some set them so they're about an inch above the water line so it doesn't slow them down while paddling. But with using PVC I would set them at the water line.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your reply SWfinatic!

I too wondered if I should bring them in closer to the boat, although I rarely paddle and prefer to use the mirage drive as the kayak is used primarily for fishing. I use a downrigger and troll a lot etc. so keeping my hands free is important.

I'm going to make the height of the floats adjustable with pins so I can have options.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cecil B. wrote:

I too wondered if I should bring them in closer to the boat, although I rarely paddle and prefer to use the mirage drive as the kayak is used primarily for fishing. I use a downrigger and troll a lot etc. so keeping my hands free is important.

I'm going to make the height of the floats adjustable with pins so I can have options.

Yes sir. It's been a while since I did mine but I believe I used 1-1/4" PVC the ran across the kayak. Where you have 90's installed that turn down and connect to the pontoons I used a 1-1/4"x1-1/4"x1-1/4" tee. Then used 1" to connect to the pontoons. The 1" schedule 40 will slide nicely into the 1-1/4". Again these are by memory but I'm pretty sure this is correct.

My kayak went from impossibly for me to stand in to being able to not only being able to stand in but throw a cast net from it just by adding the pontoons close to each side of the kayak. It will make a big difference.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Swfinatic wrote:
Cecil B. wrote:

Yes sir. It's been a while since I did mine but I believe I used 1-1/4" PVC the ran across the kayak. Where you have 90's installed that turn down and connect to the pontoons I used a 1-1/4"x1-1/4"x1-1/4" tee. Then used 1" to connect to the pontoons. The 1" schedule 40 will slide nicely into the 1-1/4". Again these are by memory but I'm pretty sure this is correct.

My kayak went from impossibly for me to stand in to being able to not only being able to stand in but throw a cast net from it just by adding the pontoons close to each side of the kayak. It will make a big difference.

Good luck!

Thanks again! Great minds think alike! Yeah decided to use 1 1/4th inch 'T's instead of the 90's and glued a 5/8th inch piece of 1 1/4 inch PVC on the top and bottom of the "T/s for the 1 inch vertical piece of PVC to slide up and down in. Otherwise too much play. Then attached to the 'T's between the floats with an 1 inch to 1 1/4th inch bushing. Going to take it out one of my ponds and sit it next to the pier and have someone else mark the inch vertical strut point with a sharpie as it sits in the water so I know where to put the pin hole for the just on the wager portion. And will have another pin hole for a above the water?

Will post a picture soon of it in and out of the water. Would do it today but need to pick up a few more fittings.

Going to stay at a cabin in Maine next week and look forward to using the kayak for fishing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That sounds good! I hope the weather is good. Supposed to be 100 here in South Central Texas with heat index of 107!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Unless you stand to fish I would want them out of the water for 2 reasons- reduce drag when underway and more stability in waves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pescatoral Pursuit wrote:
Unless you stand to fish I would want them out of the water for 2 reasons- reduce drag when underway and more stability in waves.

Thanks. I determined the height where a pin should go just floating in the water by putting the yak in our swim spa with myself and all my gear in it. Then had the wife who was standing outside the spa tank mark it with a sharpie.

I was thinking that position for one pin and up above the water for another? The arms stick out 1 foot. I'm thinking the 1 1/4 inch PVC is strong enough if they are up and out of the water? According to a chart on the Internet 1.25 inch Schedule 80 PVC has a tensile strength of 878 lbs.!

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/resou ... gth-chart/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well?? How's she run?