Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi - I am 6’2”, 240lbs and this will be my first kayak, mostly for exercise and recreation but also I will try some fishing. I have a local guy selling a used 2016 Outback for $1,500 that I could buy, or go with a $2,099 new Compass (plus shipping) - I don’t want to go for $3,000 new outback price range. I used to do some sailing so I might also like to try the sail out, who knows... obviously not me, I’m all over the place, therefore can’t make a decision!

I was leaning toward the Compass because of kick up fins, warranty, and lighter - ability to put on top of my tall SUV easier. The kick up fins really appeal to my desire for the latest greatest and thinking I will be disappointed when I get out there and hit something without them.

The advantage of the Outback is the more stability ? I’m not sure how much that will bother me and there is no store near me that sells them so I can’t compare the two on the water. I would have to buy online, which is another question - is Austin Kayak the best place to buy online other than REI which doesn’t have the 2020’s?

I appreciate any and all opinions.

Thanks!
-rl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have two of the 2019 Compass and I love that boat. I am not as tall as you and weigh a little less and stability is not an issue in the Compass for me. Mine doesn't have kick up fins, but I wear polarized sunglasses and can usually see when I am getting in the shallows near the oyster beds so, I know the areas to avoid. I added the sail kit and furler and all I can say is I will probably do less fishing next spring and more sailing. The sailing is an absolute blast. We went out in 2 foot seas with 10 to 15 knots of wind and had so much fun, mostly on a beam reach. When the wind got light, we just pedaled. I car top mine. We have a VW Jetta with Rhino racks. I have a pair of J-racks on the driver side for hauling my boat and we lay the other Compass flat on the rack above the passenger side. Drive 170 miles to get to the coast averaging around 72 miles an hour all Interstate and have never had an issue. Boat is light enough that we can lift if up on the racks with no issues, single handed can be awkward, but once you get the weight centered, it is not that bad. The seat is very comfortable. My only 2 complaints have been the position of the hook for the paddle bungee (I made an extension to remedy this though) and the rudder control being so low-profile would be nice if it had a knob on top to make it more comfortable. For the price, the Compass is an awesome machine. I considered other boats, but the ability to add the sail kit, pedal or paddle, and Hobie's reputation won me over.

I don't have experience with the Outback, but for the difference in price and getting a new boat warranty, I would probably pick the Compass anyway.

K

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello and welcome to Hobie World,
I just finished posting my review of the 2020 Compass. The review may answer some of your concerns from my perspective. So far, I'm very pleased with my Compass. I'm also 6'2" and 240 pounds (used to be 6'3"). I'm 68 years old, therefore was influenced in my decision to purchase the lighter weight Compass to top load on my Sienna. On the shakedown cruise, the winds were 10-20 mph. I had no issues with stability, which I found very similar to an Outback's stability. However, to confuse matters, $1500 for that year Outback (in good condition) is an excellent price. I wish you the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you both for your excellent comments! Lots of great useful info and advice! Much appreciated! I think I will go with the new Compass - being able to haul it more easily will mean that I am likely to get off my b*tt and use it more!

Thanks!