Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Join the Northwest Kayak Angler's Forum and ask that question. The members of the forum are friendly and have a lot of experience. Let them know whether you are looking for a completely flatwater trip, or if you have some experience with and tolerance for rapidly moving water and/or whitewater. For example, the John Day river has some excellent fishing and offers great opportunities for multi-day kayak trips, but sections of it contain some whitewater.

The risk of using a Mirage Drive kayak in moving water is that you may get swept over rocks or a gravel bar and damage your drive. I suggest that you pull up your Mirage Drive and paddle in sections of river which are less than than about two feet deep. And bring the plug which goes in your kayak's drive hole, so water won't be constantly sloshing in and out of the cockpit of your kayak when you're paddling.

I have done many long unsupported whitewater kayak trips, including a bunch in the 1-2 week range. There is room in a Hobie sit-on-top kayak for way more gear than you can fit in a typical big-water whitewater kayak. But don't bring a ton of gear just because there is room for it in your kayak. Pack the way that you would for a backpacking trip. Keep your gear as light as you can.

I've done a lot of multi-day kayak fishing trips, such as 5-6 day kayak fishing trips on the Middle Fork of the Salmon in Idaho, 3-4 day kayak fishing trips on the Selway River in Idaho, and 3-4 day kayak fishing trips on the Little North Fork of the Clearwater River in Idaho. In my experience, a multi-day kayak fishing trip will go better if all of the participants want to fish. If some of the participants want to head down to the next camping spot and chill out, and other participants want to stop and fish at every good spot, that can create some interpersonal conflicts unless everybody on the trip is willing to make some compromises.