Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Duraglide as longboard
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't find a local dealer who sells the CLMB, which I really want so that I can use it as a SUP and surf smaller swells like I'm on a longboard. The closest SUP my local dealers have is the DuraGlide. Anyone ever used it similar to the CLMB/like a longboard? Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:50 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The DuraGlide will surf great and perform among the best in its segment, which is primarily heavy resort or rental use. It's built much heavier with more reinforcements to handle that abuse. I have spent a fair amount of time on it surfing and while does work great as an entry level surfing SUP, it won't perform to the level as the CMLB range does. If the primary use of the board will be by you and in the surf, the CMLB would be the way to go. They are much lighter and more maneuverable on a wave, although the higher performance comes with less durability than the DuraGlide. The CMLB won't be as stable at first since they don't have as much volume, but it will give you more room to grow and improve.

Here are a couple 10'10" DuraGlide surfing photos.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just stumbled over this topic: I'm a Hobie Cat sailor on the tall and heavy side (6'5" and 260lbs) and this summer was rotten so far - we had a lot of strong westerly wind, meaning waves too high to get the catamaran out on the water. Before you say "Ooooh, that doesn't exist": we often had less that 12 kts of Wind (directly 90° on-shore) and a five to six ft reef-break about 150 meters out. In these conditions you have Wind and waves from the same direction - ideal for ruining mast and sails.

Conditions were great for surfing, though, but it's kind of difficult to get a good board for me. I ended up buying a 2015 Hobie DuraGlide 10'10 from the local outfitter. Three seasons as a rental-board, some scratches, but at 1/3 of the list-price - and a paddle and leash thrown in - it's a deal. Check the video and how small the waves are ...

Yes, you can surf very well on a 10'10. I don't think I'm gonna make it to Jaws or Diamond Head anytime soon, but that's not the board's fault alone. The big 10'10 easily catches smaller waves and swell and pardons a sub-optimum stand or weight distribution. I guess that any advanced surfer will find the board way too heavy and not responsive at all, but I ain't no advanced surfer - and I'm too heavy and a bit unresponsive, too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

More proof:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bcastile wrote:
The DuraGlide will surf great and perform among the best in its segment, which is primarily heavy resort or rental use. It's built much heavier with more reinforcements to handle that abuse. I have spent a fair amount of time on it surfing and while does work great as an entry level surfing SUP, it won't perform to the level as the CMLB range does. If the primary use of the board will be by you and in the surf, the CMLB would be the way to go. They are much lighter and more maneuverable on a wave, although the higher performance comes with less durability than the DuraGlide. The CMLB won't be as stable at first since they don't have as much volume, but it will give you more room to grow and improve.

Here are a couple 10'10" DuraGlide surfing photos.

Source: longboardpro

These picture are Legit proof!