Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I KNOW IT'S BEEN ASKED BEFORE BUT I CAN'T FIND IT !!!!!!
I have 2 triples, both have beckets on them, and 2 single blocks, AND I need HELP reeving them to get a 7:1 set up.
HOPEFULLY NOT CROSSING THE LINES (or the streams from Ghostbuster's ! ha ha )
THANKS !!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure why you would have two triple and two single blocks, can you clarify your setup?

I’m assuming you mean you have one triple block with becket attached to the boom. And then you have a stack attached to the traveler car which consists of a single ratchet block with cam cleat with a triple block mounted on top of the ratchet and that triple also has a becket. Not sure where your second single block is located.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a NEW set up from Nautos two years ago which has a triple up top with a becket on the bottom middle of it, and a triple on the bottom with a becket on the top of it and below the middle bottom pulley it has the cam cleat jaws. That was a 6:1 set up. Then last year my buddy (also 73) complained his arm hurt and could I upgrade it to a 7:1 set up, so I bought 2 single pulley blocks to attach to the beckets to make an 8:1. But set up that way with the 2 singles on the beckets between the 2 threes the lines cross and it won't let the main sail out on it's own after a tack. The sheet is 3/8 inch and super high quality and was part of a kit for the H-16. I was trying to save a "few" bucks after I saw Harkens set up with 4 on top and 3 on bottom was $ 760., plus tax, plus shipping !
So NOW I am looking for a way to use the single block or blocks on either of the 2 beckets to make the 6:1 into a 7:1 without crossing and rubbing the lines. The Hobie parts catalog shows a 6:1 reeving set up and later says to add a mini block to the eye that's normally used to tie off to and then tie the line to an empty bail ONLY there is only I bail on this 1985 H-18 boom. (And YES it has the red glue line inside the hulls- BUMMER !!!)
Any way that you can see and advise me to use the 3 on top, 3 on bottom and one of the single blocks on one of the beckets so as to NOT cross or rub any of the other lines? This set up was in the mid 4's with the quality line they recommend, and I wish I was not so cheap and had splurged for the Harkens !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS !!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rig it like this....

https://www.murrays.com/product/28-71/

Bottom becket is not used. The trick to reeving clean is to let the upper block turn 45-90 degrees relative to the bottom block.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

AHHHHH HAAAAAAA !!!!! THAT MAKES SENSE !!!!!!!!!!! Gonna do it as soon as I've had my coffee and I actually wake up.

On another note = I ran into a buddy of yours who said to say Hi ! Harry Murphey = a really old salt as he puts it who like You has really been around the cat scene forever - according to him !

THANKS for all the work you did locating and advising and all the incredible useful tips I have "stolen" from YOU on the Hobie Forums website over the years !!!!

Love,
Irv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Did it and it worked on the third try !!!

Wife says I don't listen, don't follow written / picture instructions very well either !!!!!!!!!!!!

Still freezing here in Colorado but I am ready for "Let's Go Sailing" weather now !!!

THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi from Down Under,

With two triple blocks and two single blocks you can have 8:1 purchase which is much nicer to sail with, especially if you are sailing with youth or female. It makes it much easier for them and lets face it, we all need more youth and females in the class.

Enjoy.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/