Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a hobie 18. I grew up sailing sunfish and Catalina’s. I paid $700. I thought it was a great deal. The guy I bought it from didn’t have a boom or jib. My problem is I have no clue where to find the boom. He also handed me two buckets of lines and pulleys but I can’t seem to find a diagram of anything to put this back together. I wanted a project but this is quickly getting out of hand. The first thing I’m asking is: where do I find a boom? Secondly: where do I find a rigging diagram? Where can I buy shrouds? I’d appreciate any help. The Hull seems to be decent and the mainsail is decent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the hobie forums. Hobie does a very good job of keeping manuals around from their older boats. Google: hobie 18 assembly manual and follow the links to the hobie page. Do the same for Hobie 18 parts guide and you can find the part numbers for the shrouds. There is an excellent stash of used hobie parts floating around thanks to all the boats that haven't survived as long as yours. Let us know where you are at and perhaps someone can set you up with a boom.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie 18 assembly manual is a good starting point.
https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/H18%26SX_Manual.pdf?_ga=2.157960313.254963590.1587425524-2029119106.1505777923

Murrays marine (murrays.com) is a great source for replacement parts. Also any Hobie dealer should be able to offer you any replacement parts that are still available. The Hobie 18 has been out of production for roughly 15 years so not all parts are still available new. Otherwise ebay, craigslist, and other classifieds are good resources for parts if you have time to shop around.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have an spare 18 boom if you need one........... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

if he doesn't take it, i may. i am in mikwaukee, wis.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
Hobie 18 assembly manual is a good starting point.
https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/H18%26SX_Manual.pdf?_ga=2.157960313.254963590.1587425524-2029119106.1505777923

Murrays marine (murrays.com) is a great source for replacement parts. Also any Hobie dealer should be able to offer you any replacement parts that are still available. The Hobie 18 has been out of production for roughly 15 years so not all parts are still available new. Otherwise ebay, craigslist, and other classifieds are good resources for parts if you have time to shop around.

+1 to srm's response. I'd add that most of the larger parts (boom, mast, crossbars, etc.) that you might not be able to find through Murray's or a Hobie dealer are almost always available on ebay... though shipping starts to get pricey. Shrouds, sails & rigging components are something all Hobie dealers still carry. Rigging in particular should never be bought used.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm wondering if you ever figured out this project? I have a Hobie 18 available that seems in much the same shape--everything handed over, no rhyme or reason. I have a boom but no sails or trampoline, which I imagine is pretty common. But just figuring out what everything is, checking to see if replacement parts are worth it, is a mammoth ordeal. Even with the assembly manual, I have no idea how or where to start?

I don't have a box to leave the end pieces in so they'll stay upright, for instance! I mean that's a joke, because obviously. Nothing is neatly laid out. Has anyone taken a Hobie from a bucket of bolts to sailable? Any ideas how to take a first stab at it other than use the manual?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Melissa, you've got a new hobby!

I've never restored a Hobie, but I have restored a Thistle and a Rascal. Plus I once bought a used Hobie 17 that turned out to be in much worse shape than the seller represented. Parts and information for Hobies are far more common and easier to come by than those boats. Yeah, a lot of folks have started out with a basket case and restored it. The #1 most important thing is hull condition. If the hulls are good, then it's just a matter of how much time and money you are willing to put into the boat. You can buy a lot of parts from Hobie, Murray's Marine and other "new" sources, or you can spend a bit more time searching for deals.

This forum, and Beachcats.com have lots of people and resources. You can find parts on both forums, eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and sometimes your local Craigslist. This site, the Hobie site, has the assembly manuals and parts manuals, plus other guides, for almost everything Hobie ever made. The 18 is a pretty common and highly desirable boat.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dorienc wrote:
The #1 most important thing is hull condition.

I agree. Before you invest any money into the boat, check the hulls very carefully. There may be a reason someone decided to just hand the boat over. Press down firmly and tap all over the hulls and decks feeling and listening for soft spots. Small areas can be repaired if caught early on. Large areas are generally not worth repairing and in most cases mean the hulls should be scrapped. If that’s the case, what you have is simply a pile of spare parts. If the hulls are good and you decide you want to move forward with the project, there is plenty of knowdge on the forum to help you out.

sm