Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I made two mistakes recently.

1. not replacing the slightly saggy shockcord on my daggerboard before going out
2. relying on said shockcord to hold it high in the pocket while rigging the boat on the trailer

The result? Daggerboard slipped right into the pocket and onto the cement below.

[img]file:///Users/user/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/resources/proxies/derivatives/01/00/1b8/UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1b8.jpg[/img]

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a diy repair, specifically what material to use. I know the board has to be clean dry and the work area roughed up with a sander, but what kind of epoxy should I use here, Marine tex?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your pictures are not visible. They need to be uploaded to a third-party website and then linked from there in the body of your post.

Marine Tex may be ok, it really depends on the location and extent of the damage. Marine Tex generally doesn’t work well along the trailing edge of the board because the board is very thin there and the Marine Tex will eventually chip out and need to be replaced. At the very bottom of the board, it can sometimes be used since there is more thickness to work with.

The best approach is to use polyester resin and fiberglass cloth to do a reinforced repair. This will be stronger and last longer, but it is a more involved repair process.

sm