Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking into getting a compact Grapnel anchor for my 18 and I'm wondering if anybody has a recommendation for the minimum weight it should be. I'd only be mooring it in sheltered water to use the boat as a swim platform, but 3.5 pounds seems like it's more designed for a kayak. Is 9 lbs enough? Or is it overkill? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Here's a link to the anchor I'm looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Max-3006 ... ods&sr=1-7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are Grapnel Anchor sizing charts on the Internet as follows:

5-18 ft - 9 lbs
14-22 ft - 13 lbs
18-24 ft - 18 lbs

Of course, these are generic guidelines that don’t take into account specific boat type, weight, area, windage. So 9 lbs should be fine for “light duty” use on an H18. I wouldn’t go lower. But do use 10-15’ of chain and enough rode for at least a 4:1 scope.

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The weight of the anchor may not be that important. I use an aluminium anchor (for my Hobie 21) that is very light but it requires a weighted rope and preferably a chain at the end too. Really any anchor needs a chain because it acts as a dampener for the waves. I would say that the weight at the end of the rope is more important than the weight of the anchor.

But in your specific use case anything will do.

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anchor weight is important because the length of the flukes and the open width of a grapnel anchor (distance between fluke tips) increases with the weight. A 3 1/2 lb grapnel is not really suitable for anything much larger than a kayak or canoe as it cannot penetrate very deep into loose bottom material.

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depends on the type of bottom. If it's a sandy bottom, a grapnel anchor isn't going to work no matter what, you need a danforth (sand) anchor. If it's a rocky bottom, a small grapnel anchor would work just fine. The style anchor and type of bottom is much more important than the weight of it. The comments about length & weight of chain & line are spot on, especially if your anchor doesn't "grab" the bottom (like a hall or mushroom anchor), but an anchor plus chain plus a few dozen feet of line is a lot of weight to carry on a catamaran! You should anywhere from 4 to 7 times the water depth in line... so 5' of water requires 20'-35' of anchor line.

The best anchor stowage arrangement I've seen was on an 18 with wings. They tied a danforth anchor on the underside of one of the wings, with a short length of chain and a few loops of rope. Personally, I have a small grapnel anchor and 50' of line that I throw in the hull when I think I might want to have it aboard, but fully knowing that in most cases it's useless to me, unless I find a few rocks to pile on it/behind it... or if I get in a really bad spot near a rocky shore. It's probably 3.5 lbs, definitely not enough for anything but a very rocky bottom.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238