Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Do We Have Here?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings!

I bought this Hobie Cat 18 recently and am trying to figure everything out. I put it all together on land, but have not gotten it into the water yet. I did download the Hobie 18/18SX manual and a few other documents and watched a few YouTube videos which helped tremendously.

I'm curious exactly what type of Hobie catamaran I have. There is a serial number etch on the rear of one pontoon: CCMH4058M81G. I wanted to post a photo, but I was unsuccessful at doing so.

Any advisement is appreciated. Thank you.

LeeMo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The number you posted is your hull number. The only thing that can be discerned from that number alone is that the boat was built in 1981 (last two numerical digits).

At that time, Hobie did not yet make the magnum or SX variants, so yours would be a "standard" Hobie 18. If it has wings on it, they were added by a previous owner.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sabres, thank you for the response. I wasn't sure exactly what model or type it was. It has orange hulls and a faded orange platform, a fairly nice matching jib & main sheet, two fairly good dagger boards, and the mast & boom are all aluminum. It appears to have has all the hardware and lines necessary to sail, but it does not have wings. There are two soft spots midway down each hull top; I want to address those at some point. It had been stored under some oak trees for years, so I gave it a good thorough cleaning and it looks rather nice. The trailer was in good shape and it towed well for the six hour trip back home. I paid $200 for the whole setup, and I'm hoping I made out pretty good. I'm looking forward to my first test run with it on the lake. Again, thanks for your response.
LeeMo