Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, what are folks doing to store the Eclipse after they are done using? I have a big long beach. The videos only show the boards up on a beach on the nose.
Do the fins go up enough that they can be just put flat on a surface? Do you have to remove the fins to lay flat? If so, how easy?
If not, can one build some type of close to the ground stand?

My existing SUP's are in a rack, but that is easy since nothing comes apart.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

I would store like any SUP. Drive and handlebars are easily removed if desired and may make racking easier. The fins do come up against / near the board bottom, but should not be left resting on them.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, if I want to not take the fins off, etc,. is there some type of cradle device I can set the SUP on? The easier I can make it for folks to use, the more it will get used.

How much time does it take to put the drive and handlebars on? And off?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Installation of the drive and handle bars is maybe 1 minute combined... Easy.

You can leave the drive in if on a typical rack. You could place on two padded 2x4 and that would be high enough off the floor to ease any loads on fins if the drive was in.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

h2ofun wrote:
So, if I want to not take the fins off, etc,. is there some type of cradle device I can set the SUP on? The easier I can make it for folks to use, the more it will get used.

Thanks

I actually use mine every morning before work. I remove the drive (takes about 14 seconds tops) and beach it. I leave handlebars and rudder in place. I purchased a dock rack/launching system like this - http://www.storeyourboard.com/paddleboa ... p-storage/ but I really don't use it. I mean I will use it if I am not planning to use the board for a few days. But at this point it is SUPER appealing to just hop on the board and go. I pull it into the water and wade out until it's deep enough to drop the fins in. Probably 30 seconds from house to walking on the lake. I guess time will tell if leaving the board beached and exposed to the elements will shorten it's life. But if it's a choice between using it daily because it's convenient and preserving it for decades, I'll choose using it? :)

Btw, the dock storage rack that I bought is pretty nifty and would only add a couple of minutes to launch time? Like maybe a total of 5 to 10 minutes tops? It really only takes a minute or less to remove or install the handlebars. So if you have a dock and are not comfortable leaving your board beached, it's a really nice option. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have my Eclipse on a lake where I would love to figure out a small floating dock system to pull it up on (with a slit up the middle for the drive) so that I don't have to take it out of the water each time I use it. Being that it is somewhat fragile, I can't just tie it up to the dock and let it get knocked around by boat traffic/wind/etc. A wave runner/jet ski dock with a slit up the middle would be perfect. Have you seen anything like that? I realize I can pull the drive and pull it up on a wave runner dock, but if anyone has any ideas.....bring them on!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For two months I've tied the Eclipse to our raft, with no problem.....raft is padded, and we're in a sheltered bay on a lake.....what I wasn't told is that if the board is left in the water, osmosis will cause the gel to blister, and then the blisters easily burst and you have white dots on underside of board.
Being that I'm in my 70's, and using the board daily in the season, I'm not excited about dismantling the board and lifting it out every time I use it, which can be 2 or 3 times a day. the fun is being able to release a couple of ropes and hop on and go - takes 5 seconds, tying up on return takes a tiny bit longer.
I've read about the blistering, and wonder if this will be addressed in future years......would like to buy another, but not unless the blistering is addressed.
Also read about the steering pulling to the right, I have that issue also, and have to keep correcting to go straight, because it routinely veers too the right, very annoying.
Other than these two issues, I love the eclipse;, I've been SUP boarding for 4 yrs and enjoy that, but find the eclipse a better workout, and more fun cuz its faster and so stable!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

why can't the eclipse be made so that its ok to leave it in the water for 3 or 4 months at a time.......we use the eclipse at the cabin, it gets daily use.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 am 
Site Admin

As with any fiberglass boat you would need to give it a bottom barrier paint to do that for long term in the water storage. Not something we would do here. A marina might be able to do it. I have never heard of it being done on an Eclipse though. Maybe make a float for it?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I store mine on top of my covered dock. When I'm done using, I remove the drive and slip a foam mat half off the dock. I grab the aft handle and drag the Eclipse and the mat up onto the dock. Only takes a minute to reverse and drag mat and Eclipse back to edge of dock and lift aft handle to slide Eclipse off mat and into water. Drop in the drive and go.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quiver Sports recommended I use the VAMO UV cover as an affordable way to store and transport my eclipse. It bungees over the under side so I can still use the handles to carry and transport yet gives a nice buffer from the sun and unwanted scratches.They said to size up from the length of the eclipse to account for stretching. I have the 12' and got the 12'6-14' UV cover. It fit great. For $99 I thought it was well worth the money.

Got it at vamolife.com.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Krisspe wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Thanks

I actually use mine every morning before work. I remove the drive (takes about 14 seconds tops) and beach it. I leave handlebars and rudder in place. I purchased a dock rack/launching system like this - http://www.storeyourboard.com/paddleboa ... p-storage/ but I really don't use it. I mean I will use it if I am not planning to use the board for a few days. But at this point it is SUPER appealing to just hop on the board and go. I pull it into the water and wade out until it's deep enough to drop the fins in. Probably 30 seconds from house to walking on the lake. I guess time will tell if leaving the board beached and exposed to the elements will shorten it's life. But if it's a choice between using it daily because it's convenient and preserving it for decades, I'll choose using it? :)

Btw, the dock storage rack that I bought is pretty nifty and would only add a couple of minutes to launch time? Like maybe a total of 5 to 10 minutes tops? It really only takes a minute or less to remove or install the handlebars. So if you have a dock and are not comfortable leaving your board beached, it's a really nice option. :)

I checked out your rack/launching suggestion and was hopeful, but unfortunately it wouldn't work as water is over my head along dock. I wish there was an easy way to launch and store from our dock. High winds means it also has to be a secure spot, too. I'll keep hoping

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone ever come up with a solution? I have two pedalboards, and storing them so my wife can get them out is a trick fo sure.