Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got my Hobie Compass a few weeks ago. I quickly discovered that it did not sit well on my C-tug cart. I googled solutions and saw that one person had added a couple of pieces of pvc to the pads to conform to the hull. The pads had also been turned around. I turned over my compass and discovered that if I flipped the pads on the C-tug, it seems to conform well to the hull, near the scupper holes. I did not see a need to add the pvc pipe. Has anyone else done this and had success? It is cold outside so I did not feel like rolling it around to see if it worked on rough terrain.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How'd things go? I'm a new (used, 2018) Hobie Compass owner who is currently looking at cart options so I'm interested to hear how you've made out with c-tug. Thanks - Swisschard.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On my 2018 Compass, the c-tug is just a lousy solution. You can reverse the pads, but the straps have to lead out from the middle in a weird way, and it needs a spacer (pvc pipe) tied to the pads, or the outside edges of the pads push against the hull, which bears all the weight on the outer edge of the pads.. not the flats.

I think with the pads in the right orientation, with pvc pipes can be the best compromise, but, if you have to go very far at all, the tug slides off the taper and slides off the boat. Still messing with it, will report any change.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is the best I could get the C-Tug to work on any of my Hobies (2017 Outback) and the 2018 Compass..

I put two 2.5" pvc pipes used as spacers, zip tied to the C-Tug pads

I positioned the C-Tug just about at the back scupper holes and the PVC pipes provide enough vertical space so the wheels do not rub on the kayak, and the straps are free to operate and it keeps the Tug centered on the kayak. It also allows the straps to run just in front of the cockpit riser which keeps the damn thing from slipping off the back while you are pulling it!

This was down and dirty.. you could probably drill and bolt the pipes to the pads with a more exact distance etc.. but, you know :-)

good luck.