Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know that the 2022 Hobie Compass as a new seat that is supposed to be more comfortable and more durable. However, is the seat itself the only difference for 2022? Did the new seat require changes to the hull and/or fittings on the hull.

I recently purchased a 2021 Seagrass Hobie Compass. I was about to purchase a Papaya Orange Hobie Compass for my son. If the seat from the 2022 can be simply moved over to my 2021 hull, I would probably purchase the 2022 Papaya Orange Compass and just trade out seats with my sons. However, if he hull had to change, then that would not work.

Any information is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went to a local dealer today that had both the 2021 Hobie Compass and the 2022 Hobie Compass (at least the hulls, I don't think they had the seats in stock). The 2022 Hobie Compass definitely is different in terms of mounting the seat. The Hull has definitely been changed and the 2022 has some black plastic pieces screwed into the hull to hold the seat in place whereas the 2021 just has the place you place the seat molded into the plastic.

As such, I am almost certain you cannot transfer a seat between the two different models.

If anyone has experience with the new seat on the 2022 model and whether it is a significant upgrade, I would be interested. They didn't actually have the seats in stock to look at.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

All Compass 2022 seats have been shipped to dealers as of the past week. No back orders.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Will have to find out if they actually changed the mold (not easy or cheap to do) or simply added some pieces to the existing hull to mount the seat
If you can get the new mounting pieces you should be able to use the new seat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The mold definitely had changed. The area at the back of the seat was a little different. I'm not saying you could not install the plastic brackets for the seat on a 2021 and have it work, but the hull was different near the rear of the seat. On the 2022, there was a little plastic raised area around where the plastic pieces were mounted (like guides which showed where to install them). Again, I don't know if there is anything that would interfere with the new seat on the 2021. I just verified they were actually different. I should have taken pictures since I had a 2021 right next to a 2022.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just pickup up my new 2022 Compass today, paid the premium for the camo version. I never had the prior year's version so don't have personal experience with it, but have seen the complaints about it. I can confirm the 2022 version does NOT have the bar going across the back area that people complained about, and the frame is tubular metal. There is a "kickstand" in the front, so you have a high and low position for the front. With the kickstand down (high position) there is more than adequate room under the seat for tackle box trays. Probably not in the low position. And I haven't sat on it yet (and won't for some months because lakes are icing over here) but it looks comfortable enough and your weight will not impede on the under seat storage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
All Compass 2022 seats have been shipped to dealers as of the past week. No back orders.

I called this morning and the seat for my 2021 Hobie Compass I bought in early December is not in yet according to the place I bought it. I assume the 2021 seats are still on backorder?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe so - the dealer will be notified as soon as they're shipped. Hobie was closed for the holiday and inventory - but reopened today - getting back to shipping today. Keep in touch with the dealer - they are the best source of shipping details as they are notified when something is shipped out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier wrote:
I believe so - the dealer will be notified as soon as they're shipped. Hobie was closed for the holiday and inventory - but reopened today - getting back to shipping today. Keep in touch with the dealer - they are the best source of shipping details as they are notified when something is shipped out.

My dealer called today and said the seat for my son's Slate Blue 2021 Hobie Compass has shipped. It should be available for pickup in about a week. Hopefully the weather warms back up in Houston so my son can use it soon (sucked having all that 70 and 80 degree weather in December and had the kayak but couldn't use it).

i also just ordered a 2022 Hobie Compass for my other son (orange) and myself (seagrass/yellow). I hope the new seat is noticeably better than the 2021 since it cost me quite a bit getting the 2022 instead of the 2021. At least now both of my sons have the color they wanted.

Now I just need to decide if I'm going to have the Horizontal hatch installed and the round hatch moved to the front on mine.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there a work around for the pad eyes that hold the seat in place to keep them from breaking. I have had my compass for 2 months and broke 4 pad eyes.