Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Took my brand new compass out on it test run and after 3 hrs on the water it had 1 1/2 gallons of water in the hull. Called the dealer and checked for leaks turns out it’s leaking at the right aft screw insert for the fish finder and at the right click and go insert. I am very disappointed as the kayak is only a week old. Hopefully the warranty process doesn’t take to long, because I sold my boat and this is peak fishing season. I wish I could post a video on here the leaks are so bad. So my question is how long does it take to get the warranty approved and get a new hull to the dealership? My deal said he has no idea how long it will take. My dealer filed the claim on Saturday I know it’s was a weekend so no one will look at it until today. I also emailed MMiller since he answered my question about the rudder gap. So frustrating!!! 3000 bucks one you add tax, hopefully the next hull is sea worthy. I’m going to give Hobie the benefit of the doubt and say QA was having a bad day when that hull was inspected. My brother took his brand new passport 12 out the same day and no leaks or issues.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I got to speak to someone in the warranty department today and wow that’s all I can say it’s takes upwards of 5 weeks to get approved and get the hull sent out. Also as far as they know there is no compensation for the lost time on the water I’m going to miss 2 tournaments and I don’t know how many days of fishing. Did I mention it’s less than a week old. The dealers I guess aren’t allowed to do exchanges well they can but that’s up to them even if they have the kayaks in stock. This seems like something that could be worked out between Hobie and the dealer not me and the dealer. So frustrating!!!!! Basically loaned them 3k with no interest..

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:38 am 
Site Admin

To be clear, the claim was approved last Friday. The process of getting a hull to the dealer requires a load to be going in the dealer's direction as we only ship in truckloads due to potential damage if shipped alone. As noted... try the goop on the inside as a temp fix to get on the water.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What “goop” also both areas are pretty inaccessible without cutting a hole in the hull. Why not tell the dealer to give me one of the ones they have in stock and y’all resupply them on your next truck load. It’s a week old, pretty disappointed is all I can say. This whole situation is really getting me upset, almost feel powerless.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:58 am 
Site Admin

That would make sense for sure if they have one. Typically something the claims guys offer as an option to the dealer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our dealer here in Houston has plenty and at this point I don’t even care if it’s the same color. I bought the green because it’s highly visible and we have a lot of inexperienced boat traffic but if it’s not available orange or whatever color would be fine. Hopefully this is something my dealer is made aware of and I can make my tournament dates.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don’t know who spoke to whom but the dealer is willing to do a hull swap, thank you Hobie.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Glad to see you're being taken care of.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Picked up the new hull it’s not as nice and smooth as my previous hull but that doesn’t matter to me as long as it functions properly. I have only been able to take it out for 45 minutes so far no water in the hull. The winds are to bad even for testing on the pond. Hopefully I get a day to test because I’m supposed to be scouting spots soon. I’m glad Fishing Tackle Unlimited and Hobie could get me back on the water hopefully I get a chance to really test it soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:00 am 
Site Admin

:)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am so glad you all found an amicable solution. I would have come unglued. PHEW!!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have got out twice so far and no water in the hull thank goodness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Unfortunately the quality control seems to have slipped in recent times. My older Hobie's (of which I have 4) are all finished much nicer than my new Compass which is pretty rough. For what should be a premium product (with a premium price tag) we shouldn't be getting leaking or poorly finished kayaks. Glad you got one that works now, but had to take one not so smooth or well finished to stay afloat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I hate to say it, and wish I`m wrong, but I suspect cannabis. :shock: