Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Compass hatches
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will be getting brand new 2019 Compass next month. Ist question. I have seen videos on outbacks and compasses. One video showed two guys fishing oil rigs and they were both using a hand bilge pump to pump out water out of the rectangular hatch at their feet. Does this happen after a customer installs the hatch? Does Hobie guarantee the hatches not to leak if they install them. Going to use it in Puget Sound Wa and the wind can get fierce. I also read that the Hobie kayaks have leak issues with the hatches. If it is true I will stiil get the kayak but probably will not put the circle hatch on the bow and the rectangular hatch by the feet. Can the Hobie Guardian be installed on the Compass?

Thanks for the answers and thanks to the Hobie team for redesigning the Compass and adding the reverse pedal system. It stopped me from buying another brand. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

The Compass has not had leaky hatch issues that I am aware of. The instance you describe was two guys fully loaded with gear punching through surf and the swells over a long day... with forward hatch issues. The 2019 Outback has had some issues that have been corrected. These are the larger molded hatches with bungee tie downs.

The Twist and Seal round hatches are sealed, but can drip some water in when opening.

The guardian is not an accessory. It requires a specific molded-in shape in the hull.

MD180 Turbo is included only with the Camo Compass. Otherwise it is the GT.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)