Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All,

I just got a brand new Compass a few weeks ago and have already been out a handful of times and caught some fish! Today I discovered a pretty major issue, and another smaller one.

I upgraded to the 180 drive, and whenI was out on the water today, it would not fully shift into reverse. I had the pedals parallel, and pulled smoothly, and it would not engage, and if it did, it seemed/ felt that only 1 fin was going in reverse, or it felt like it was “slipping” and I was going nowhere. I do not know if this is common or an easy fix, but I’m kind of disappointed after only a handful of uses.

The second, and potentially smaller issue, the steering/ rudder feels loose. I need to keep my left hand on the handle all the time as it is very sensitive while in current, and it will turn on a whim. Without taking off the steering cap, it seems the steering chords are very loose.

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. I will also be contacting the dealer where I bought the kayak from, to hear what they have to say.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oysterman wrote:
All,

I just got a brand new Compass a few weeks ago and have already been out a handful of times and caught some fish! Today I discovered a pretty major issue, and another smaller one.

I upgraded to the 180 drive, and whenI was out on the water today, it would not fully shift into reverse. I had the pedals parallel, and pulled smoothly, and it would not engage, and if it did, it seemed/ felt that only 1 fin was going in reverse, or it felt like it was “slipping” and I was going nowhere. I do not know if this is common or an easy fix, but I’m kind of disappointed after only a handful of uses.

The second, and potentially smaller issue, the steering/ rudder feels loose. I need to keep my left hand on the handle all the time as it is very sensitive while in current, and it will turn on a whim. Without taking off the steering cap, it seems the steering chords are very loose.

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. I will also be contacting the dealer where I bought the kayak from, to hear what they have to say.

Thanks!

For the MD180 drive, test it out of the water by holding the pedals together and pulling on each cord loop too test it. if it doesn't work every time, then the dealer needs to address it. It could be that the cord/cabling that rotates the fin is loose. Check them if you can.

As far as the loose rudder, a trick I use is to pull the rudder cord in the cleat out an inch or two and lock it in the cleat. That usually adds a little tension to the rudder without raising it up and makes the rudder feel more firm.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass