Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I want my Compass now
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just received some sad news, I ordered and paid for a Hobie Compass back in June, today I was told that there will be no Hobie Kayaks delivered to the dealership in Hawaii until maybe February or March 2021! I can't see the logic behind this decision, Everyone in the other 49 states will be hunkering down for the winter and NOT using/buying Kayaks. But the one place in the US that will be 82 degrees and sunny (while everyone else is playing in the snow,) will have to wait till spring to receive a shipment. This makes no sense! Can someone please tell me how Kayaks are better served in the showroom for 4-5 months waiting for winter to be over and not in the water being enjoyed.
The dealer tells me he has enough "paid orders" to fill a container. But was told not to expect anything for awhile. Can someone explain? I have bought a total of 4 Hobie Kayaks over a period of 15 years and still have one of the remaining Adventure 16's. The reason I'm down sizing is because I'm getting older and need a lighter rig. This sucks because we have so many beautiful days here and I have to consider them lost and time is wasted, when I could be enjoying the wind, surf and sea. I want my Kayak Now!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Been a rough year. I would guess that other dealers ordered earlier. That is the only logic I can see.

BTW... we sold out our entire production through June in Minutes.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thrilled, just got my 2021 Compass in Slate Blue.
And the Mirage Drive Leash Kit. Shopping for more accessories of course.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Been a rough year. I would guess that other dealers ordered earlier. That is the only logic I can see.

BTW... we sold out our entire production through June in Minutes.

I'm Happy that during a difficult time an American company (Hobie) is having great success. Mat I'm wondering if Hobie has given thought to building another factory somewhere in the US to keep up with demand? Sounds like everyone in the company is focused on getting products out! And that Hobie can't really deal with anything else. Like R&D for upgrading current products or developing new ones. And if Hobie does not have every single person in the company out on the factory floor putting products out, they should! Now I find out I'm being asked to wait a YEAR for a Kayak that I've supposedly bought and put money into already. I've called the factory and spoke to people who are great but sound tired over the phone, I would suggest Hobie look into building another facility and hire people (now that so many are out of work) and fulfill orders so as not to lose all your customers? Sorry but I have decided not to wait. I'm going to pick up the money that I paid for a Compass from the dealer and going to purchase another product from a competitor. I'll be back on the water this weekend. Hopefully Hobie figures it out before all your customers just move on like me! :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Sorry to see you go!

It is a tough balance and always a challenge when you are successful at selling. Between Covid and importation issues it is harder this year. We are expanding production options and farming out some production to help meet demand. Engineers are hard at work. Both at production efficiency and with new products.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)