Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Worn gel coat does not have to be repaired. Gelcoat is pretty soft. The resin and fiberglass is very durable. You will see glass LONG before a bottom job is needed. A Hobie 16 keel is thick. It will start to go flat and then concave as the material gets thin. Then for sure a bottom job is needed. You do not have to cover the bottom job (Glass work) with gelcoat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for clarifying. I have been feeling guilty sailing on her. I do want to do the repair but I am glad I do not have to rush it. it is in great shape. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thejacksonfour wrote:
With all due respect to the fantastic replies, I do not think the original question has been answered. I believe the question was "is it ok to NOT do a bottom job"... any answers on that? I too have worn gelcoat but no fiberglass wear and I am wondering how long I can/should go without putting in the work. thoughts? Thanks much all.

The bottom where the wear is quite thick. After you wear through a couple of layers of glass, it’s time to do the “ bottom job “. Otherwise eventually you’ll wear through till water will get into the hulls. A set of “Cat Trax “ (wheels) will cut down tremendously on hull wear.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From the photo, you can see that the bottom is not actually very thick. Maybe two layers of fiberglass/polyester resin with a thin coat of gelcoat on the outside.

I sail year around in Florida and usually have to do about two bottom jobs per year (either just adding more polyester resin and gelcoat or having to add some 1"wide fiberglass strips/resin and gelcoat) on my 84H16.

I trailer my boat and launch from a "rough sandy" Causeway where I can back the trailer down to the water's edge. Launching and reloading the trailer doesn't really cause much wear on the bottoms this way. Yes, I have a set of Cat Trax, but they are not easy to use solo and take a lot more time to use.

Most of the wear on my boat's bottoms comes from positioning my boat on the water's edge so I can point it into the wind. I don't pull the boat all the way out of the water, but just enough to keep it from sailing away on it's own due to power boat wakes, etc. I need to point the hulls into the wind in order to raise and lower sails and when stopping for a short break at an island, beach, etc. while the sails are still up.

The worst grinding on the gelcoat is when the wind is parallel to the shoreline and you need to pull the leeward hull up onto the sand and then rotate the boat into the wind and also when you re-launch it by having to rotate the boat at least 45° so you can sail off the shore.

Where the gelcoat wears off is a good indicator for where I need to do some repairs. I also use a rigid template to make sure I maintain proper shape.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL