Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an 82 Hobie 16. I want to mount the above sail feeder and the instructions are vague. It shows to mount 7/8 inch down from the top of the slot. It then shows 2 different washer thicknesses to go under the feeder for the 14 and 18. Do I not use washers under the feeder on the Hobie 16? there were only the thicker washers for the 18. Also, after mounting the feeder, will it interfere with boom gooseneck mounting on to the mast? Is this feeder worth the installation to make raising the sail easier?

Thanks for the information and help. What a great resource...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

This part was discontinued from production decades ago. We learned that thay can cause damage to the luff rope if used improperly. You still need to guide the sail to the feeder and be cautious when lowering the sail too. The feeder works great... just be careful as they can tear the sail.

No instructions in our online system and so old, it pre-dates my time here... I've been here for about 30 years!

Production now has only one side of the luff track milled open.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sail Trax used to make a sail feeder. I have used the same one on 3 of my Hobies. It does not damage the sail or luff rope and is easy to raise and lower the sail without having to help it feed. If you can find one it is worth it. Too bad no one else makes this any more.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the Hobie part on my early 80's H16, and it did make raising the sail easier. However, it did wear (and could eventually tear) the sail on either side of the luff rope. I've also used the Sail Trax one (on a friend's boat), and it was better for the sail, but did not seem to feed as well. I suspect that was because the two pieces were supposed to be mounted a little closer together, though.

On my old boat, I believe the Hobie part was mounted as close to the top of the track opening as possible, and I'm certain there were no washers. Mounted properly up near the top of the track opening, neither part will interfere with the gooseneck.

The rest of the story....On older sails, the boltrope is continuous around the tack...the luff rope and foot rope are one piece. On newer sails, the luff rope ends above the tack, and the foot rope begins behind the tack. Also, on a newer sail that hasn't been stretched, the foot of the sail sits much higher when the downhaul is completely relaxed. If the bottom of the luff rope is above the feeder before downhauling, it can get hung on the feeder when downhauling, and continued downhauling can rip the sail. Using a newer downhaul with 6:1 purchase and adjustability on the fly can make this even more likely to happen. (Please don't ask how I know all this!) Of course a newer sail is so slippery that the feeder is unnecessary.....folks with newer boats/sails don't need/use them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i think you will find as many in favor of the feeder, as you will against it. i have an 18 an took it off. no difference really. still need to guide the sail by hand for safest (for the sail) results.