Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upwind trapping
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For the first time this year, we had really good wind on the weekend, during our FANFARE Regatta, Open Cat class with handicap.
Over the two days, we ran 13 races, with adequate to good wind on Saturday, and great wind on Sunday, 10K gusting 18K.

We were the only H16 amongst an F16, two F18's, a Tornado, and two H17's with squaretops.
Although the Tornado, one H17, and one F18 dropped a few races due to equipment and other issues, my son and I managed to hold on and ended up 2nd.

Afterward, the H17 winner asked why we single trapped going upwind.
That got me thinking....how 'flat' does the H16 have to be in 10K to 18K of wind?

Sure, if the sustained wind had been higher, I would have gone out on the trap as well, however, I did not feel that the boat needed it.
The windward hull only occasionally lifted, as in most 'puffs' I would use those puffs to round up a touch to better 'make' the mark, then bear away again for speed.

I really felt we could have held the H17 in a few races.....especially downwind. There's always next year.

Despite short chop, our top speed clocked in at 12.3 K.

So back to my question, one out or two out on the upwind, and at what wind speeds?

Post subject: Re: Upwind trapping
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

You had the right idea... unless you have to sheet out to avoid flying a hull... single trapping is good.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

T Y Matt

Only once, in a wild gust combined with a wind shift, did I have to release the mainsheet.
We must have risen to 45 degrees, but held it together.
Hobie builds good boats.

In Race 11, running downwind in chop, we made an interesting discovery -
we hit a wave, and bounced around, and as a result, the mainsheet somehow cleated.....then life becomes VERY interesting!

I still want to beat that H17.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here are a few things I've experienced, heard, and seen that may help....

First, it's my experience that, unless the wind is high and steady enough for you to go out and stay out, you're better off staying in and working the controls better rather than having to go in/out, in/out, and risking the chance of a tea bag in a sudden lull. (I don't think 10 knots is near enough to double.) I've heard some rock stars say that, while feathering up in the puffs does lift you to the windward mark, it slows you down. Instead, they work the main sheet to turn the puff into more speed. Of course, they are superhuman beings that eat, sleep, breathe, work out, and practice for this stuff. (Being a mere mortal I just feather up!) I've observed that the rock stars also seem to overstand the layline to the windward mark more than I would have thought. I expect that's related to the sheeting thing....they'd rather sail a little further so they can pump the mainsheet for speed (rather than worry about needing to feather up in order to avoid tacking twice to lay the mark).

No matter what, a well sailed H17 is a tough customer (especially with that squaretop) for a H16. You oughta be able to make up for some of that downwind, but beating them boat for boat is a tall order. If you were anywhere close to them, you should have corrected out over them, no?

Hope this at least some food for thought...