Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Righting Stick
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had a couple of inquiries about the board, seen in videos, being carried on the front crossbar of my girlfriends H16. It's designed to be used to solo right the 16 but also works for models. It can be made from 2x4, 2x6 or an aluminum pole. Pamela didn't like the 1.5" dia. pole and wanted a wider end than the 2x4 so I made her the 2x6 version, cutting it down to an actual 4' wide for her to walk up. You can paint it or coat it with epoxy like I did, then add bed liner spray for traction. The business end is made by adding a piece of plastic cut from a kitchen cutting board and a strip of rubber. (Both from walmart and under $10.00)
With the boat on it's side, board is placed on the hull in the water just behind the front cross bar, the rubber will hit the deck lip and the plastic will fit in the grove, both help to keep the bottom on place. ( on the 17 & 18 the plastic will fit in with the dagger board hole.)
The two ropes on the other end get tossed over the front and rear of the hull in the air, clipped back onto themselves and tightened like a noose. Now using the ropes to help balance, walk backwards up the board. When the boat comes up, the board is still tied to the boat so it won't float away as you get back on and situated. We're using bungee cords to hold it to the to the crossbar while sailing but I figure out something better this winter.
ImageImageImageImageImage

79' H16 Green Lightning

Post subject: Re: Righting Stick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can you post more pictures of the stick in action? I can sort of see the one in the middle, but it is difficult to see what is happening.

How long is the stick?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

8 feet seems to be a good length any long and it drags in the water when to fly a hull. Some have tried to or do carry it front to rear under the tramp but unless it's mounted solid it smacks the bottom of the boat and if mounted solid it pushes up on the tramp. I'll measure rope length this weekend. Here's my friend and creator tipping Fast Friends on youtube as a demo. He's in the 155-160lbs range.
https://youtu.be/NwZZX2ka820

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there a minimum length? I have been considering the use of a crutch.