Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail solo a lot and sometimes the wind is too strong. I have extra H16 parts around.
I was thinking about cutting the foot off the main till it is about the height of the mast tang. Then I'd cut the mast off just above the tang and adjust the halyard to match. I'd put the pulley back on the top - this is an all aluminum mast.

Also it might be nice to have a tramp that the air can get through easier - more of a net type or partial tramp.

I'd put the bob on the top of the mast because I bet the boat would be prone to turtle!

Thoughts on how this would handle?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The unsupported section of mast above the hounds is able to flex aft and to leeward, which allows the top of the sail to spill power. By chopping off the top of the mast above the hounds you will be creating an extremely stiff mast and sailplan. My guess is that overall, the rig will have less power, but handling will probably become more erratic since the rig will be much less dynamic, especially in gusty conditions - the power will be much more on-off rather than smooth.

You also need to consider the effect on the overall balance of the sailplan. If you intend to continue to use a jib, then the reduced mainsail size will cause the center of effort to shift forward which could potentially cause neutral or lee helm.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes but the shift forward would be the about the same as reefing.

Hadn't thought much about mast flex but that would be similar to reefing as well.

I should weigh the mast and see how much weight I'm getting rid of. Might not really be worth it just to get rid of a couple of feet of mast - then again I have a spare couple of masts and that weight is at the top..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you tried just reefing your sails?

I share your concerns about sailing solo in heavy wind, but I have never actually reefed the main. I decided that if I need to reef the main I shouldn't be out there!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm's comments on the bending of the mast are important. That bending allows you and the boat to take the gusts. The new configuration will power up during the gust which will be a major problem. Have a sail maker add reefing points. Not sure how to add a bead on the halyard for reefing (my 80s boat had this; long since designed out). I thought there were some threads on that on this forum or on TheBeachcats.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had reefing points added to my (boomless) Getaway mainsail. Instead of adding a bead to the halyard, I tie a 6' long line between the halyard shackle and the head of the mainsail, and hook the halyard at the standard bead.
I mostly reef on really gusty days. It's one thing to be sailing solo in 15 knots of wind with gusts to 20, and a whole 'nother story when the gusts are closer to 30 knots.

Too many canoes and kayaks