Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, after great success with my first inquiry and mast base re-riveting (thanks for the help!!!) I'm back!

I'm trying to install a Ronstan Battlestick tiller extension (one did not come with the Hobie 16 we bought used).

The Battlestick has two mounting holes. I looked at our Hobie and it had a silver metal bracket on top of the rudder bar (correct term? The bar connecting the two rudder assemblies to each other). This bracket was "U" shaped open toward the sky with a single hole horizontally through it, parallel to the rudder bar.

I removed that bracket and thought "no problem, I'm a rivet master already, I can just drill two holes and bolt this thing on." I got about 1/4 of the way through and realized I was drilling through what appears to be an outer tube, with a free-spinning inner tube inside? I stopped, because I'm unsure if this is by design and if I insert two bolts through it and "fix" that inner tube in place... Will I screw something up?

Any advice? I can figure out how to post pictures if I'm not being clear. Thank you !

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I installed a Battlestick on my 2006 Hobie 16,no issues .Just drilled two holes symmetrical to the center of Tiller crossbar and thru bolted it on.Works great,big improvement in feel from standard setup.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmadge wrote:
I installed a Battlestick on my 2006 Hobie 16,no issues .Just drilled two holes symmetrical to the center of Tiller crossbar and thru bolted it on.Works great,big improvement in feel from standard setup.

Thanks! That's what I'll do then, that inner tube sliding around had me all nervous. Appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There’s usually a troublemaker.

The inner sleeve is to reinforce the tiller connector so it won’t bend in the middle where the hole makes it weaker. When I do this I do my best to fill the hole with epoxy.

My favourite hinge is the Ronstan Omniflex. Also attaches with two rivets.