Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

adding a new style mast base.. as indicated in .pdf, the mast base rearward flange does not fit down over crossbar.
the .pdf suggests elongating upper hole in cross bar.. that seems to me to be making the rivets play more of a role in holding mast base since upper hole now allows fore and aft movement.. what about this

1.) elongate upper hole in cross bar or
2.) notch cross bar for fit or
3.) grind the extra thickness down at back edge of mast step to be like original mast step.

what is the vote??

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I vote for all three.

In the past I have replaced the mast step on my 1982 and 1984 H16s with the newer design casting.

I had to do all 3 of your choices to get the mast step to sit flush on the cross beam and then it still required using a couple of clamps to hold it flush to the top of the cross beam while I drilled the new holes and pulled the rivets.

Make sure you do not elongate the bottom hole of the cross beam, where the dolphin striker post exits.

I would also not try to re-use the old rivet holes in the cross beam since it is nearly impossible to figure where to drill into mast step so the holes would line up. Drill new holes through the mast step and cross beam. Also make sure that you don't drill the back holes through the "tramp track" of the cross beam (otherwise those rivets won't work).

Put some anti-seize on the threads of the dolphin striker post before you screw the mast step onto it. Otherwise, you may have to cut the mast step into pieces in the distant future if you ever need to work on the dolphin striker rod, post or mast step, particularly if the boat is used in saltwater.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL