Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When heading to the beach to beat a storm with heavy wind, what is the best way to de-power and remain in control with the wind directly behind you?

A. Flatten the sail and keep the trailing edge near the wind
B. Reduce the downhaul, and let the main all the way out (this intuitively seems like the worst solution)
C. looking for suggestions

I normally sail alone and so I do everything to avoid a capsize, as I can't typically right it by myself.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When it’s seriously blowing and your running with the wind behind the answer is A. Sheet in to reduce how much sail is catching the wind. Sheeting out will cause twist at the top that could lead to being blown over. It seems somewhat counterintuitive but I’ve done it and it works.

I feel compelled to add that at some point, using discretion in heading out in the first place should not be ignored. These are light boats with a LOT of sail. Be smart and be safe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, that is what I thought. I am usually pretty cautious, but we have a regatta this weekend, and weather is predicted to have 'possible thunderstorms' so I anticipate having the winds pick up at some point and everyone having to race to the beach.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good luck with the race!
If you can find a copy, the Catamaran Sailing book has a chapter on heavy weather sailing. Helpful knowledge in case you get caught out in the heavy stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup, A. Push further down in the gusts to keep the boat flat, but be ready to blow the sheets while jamming the boat upwind if necessary to try and avoid the pitchpole.

Also, near shore things can get hairy with the waves, rudders kicking up, etc. You really don't want to hit the beach with a big wind behind you, either. You'll need quite a bit of maneuvering room, but the best approach (when you get near shore) is to round up into the wind, raise rudders, sheet in the main some (to weathervane), get your weight toward the bows (lifts the sterns), and drift in backwards. This is also a good way to launch when the wind is blowing away from the beach.

Finally, get familiar with the signal flags for racing (particularly the abandon race flag). If it gets stormy/windy and there's a lot of wind noise/confusion, communication is difficult. (If there's any doubt, head on in and beat the crowd to the keg!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Another way is to back the boat onto the beach Using the jib . I posted this same question last year and Matt Miller explained hot to do it. Try searching the forum it may come up. I think I had the same title as yours. Also Joe on joyrider tv has a video where he sails backwards using the same method.