Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anchors
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to cruise out and go fishing, and with wind and currents I would need to be constantly paying attention... I also would like to scuba dive off of it, so if anyone has a good recommendation for a hobie 16 anchor it will be much appreciated. thanks, willy

Post subject: Re: anchors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Danforth anchor with a short length of chain and a whole lot of rope. Fortress makes some sweet (expensive) anchors, but if you are not worried about weight any Danforth should do the trick unless the bottom is....

Rocky
Super weedy
Super mucky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks I've looked into it and now I'm even more confused. Not many people seem to use hobies for this. I will be in unreliable rocky or sandy likely 35 to 65 foot depth with unknown swell probably max 6 ft but it's not likely that I would GO OUT in that, it's just possible that it could rise to that while I'm diving or fishing so I don't want to get something useless. At the same time you know I don't want to bring out a 50lb anchor every time either. I suspect that I may need to get 2, one for fishing while I'm on the boat, and one for if I'm underwater and only checking on it every 15 to 30 minutes. In california I am only allowed one type of fishing gear so I would decide ahead of time, rods or spear? I've also thought about trying in the meantime to use my crab hoop net with some rocks in it. Anybody out there ever done anything like this, or are you all racers? I don't even have a trapeze set. Someday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would recommend getting a danforth and avoid anchoring in the rocks unless it is calm. Anchoring to fish off a hobie is a little tricky because you can't just troll around irrespective of wind direction looking for the best spot. Instead you have to sail upwind/current of the good spot, drop anchor, then drop sails and drift back onto your anchor. I have never had any success leaving sails up at anchor on a beach cat. They are way too flighty.

As for the net full of rocks, you better hope you have a strong net because when it drags it will chafe. If it fails it could be a long swim back home.