Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

These are free from Hobie for new Outback owners, that’s a good thing. I’ve patterned and cut a 1/4” closed cell foam pad with 3M backing tape that I think will also work wonders in other models. Cheap and easy to find online.

I think the bigger shame is calling this an Outback, but that’s my personal opine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Through your dealer. We can ship direct to you, but they need to order.

Awesome Matt! Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is the wait time for the gaskets to be shipped? I got my Outback on the 16th of December and the dealer said they had asked for the gasket to be mailed directly to me. That is now a bit over 3 weeks ago (although I understand that there is a week of holidays during that period). Any estimate on how long the wait will be for the gasket to show up?

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

We had an annual inventory closure the week before, so a real slow down for December. Updated inventory counts are not yet posted, so not sure what we now have on hand. We have a large number to ship, so a few more weeks I would imagine.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that info Matt. I will hold onto my horses for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Figured I would update this.

I picked up my hatch seal and installed it on Saturday. After a full day on the water I could see the indentation of the hatch on the newly installed seal when I opened it up to unload. When I got home I ran my hose over the closed hatch, trying hit it with water from every angle, and not a drop in the kayak.

Thanks Hobie!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

:)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wish we could get some accessories and parts here in Australia. Still waiting for the hatch seal (luckily mine is pretty good) and the trailer cradles. I cannot even get an ETA on the cradles.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Installed hatch kit, good seal, however water continues to enter. After looking more closely at the forward part of the hatch, where the bungees attach the hatch to the hull, this area is the lowest point of the channel around the lid, water pools there. Best guess is it enters through the holes the bungees run thru. Going to try and seal this with marine goop and see if this improves it. The amount of water entering is not critical, but every day I end up with 2 or 3 cups of water in the hull, it’s a daily pita to vacuum it out.
I’ll update with results after I’ll give it a shot and re-test for leakage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got my hatch seal kit, but I am not sure if there is an issue with the template, as it actually makes the leak worse. I followed instructions to the letter, but it looks very different to the seal shown in the video..... It seems as if the template has been printed to the wrong scale?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

That is possible. Have your dealer order another for you.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt.... Will do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

BionicWings wrote:
Installed hatch kit, good seal, however water continues to enter. After looking more closely at the forward part of the hatch, where the bungees attach the hatch to the hull, this area is the lowest point of the channel around the lid, water pools there. Best guess is it enters through the holes the bungees run thru. Going to try and seal this with marine goop and see if this improves it. The amount of water entering is not critical, but every day I end up with 2 or 3 cups of water in the hull, it’s a daily pita to vacuum it out.

The template that came with my front hatch gasket was way off, too. Here's a picture of the marker line around the template compared to where the gasket actually needed to be. It was far enough off that I could tell when I first installed it that it wasn't going to match up with the lip of the front hatch. I measured everything out myself and made a new template. That template put the gasket where it is now in the picture. With the gasket there, it's super watertight. I even tried today to spray all around the edge from different angles with a water hose nozzle set to jet. Not a single drop got in. Seriously, not a drop. That does wonders for my confidence going out into rough water. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jason_M wrote:
BionicWings wrote:

The template that came with my front hatch gasket was way off, too. Here's a picture of the marker line around the template compared to where the gasket actually needed to be. It was far enough off that I could tell when I first installed it that it wasn't going to match up with the lip of the front hatch. I measured everything out myself and made a new template. That template put the gasket where it is now in the picture. With the gasket there, it's super watertight. I even tried today to spray all around the edge from different angles with a water hose nozzle set to jet. Not a single drop got in. Seriously, not a drop. That does wonders for my confidence going out into rough water. 8)

Wow, mne wasn’t off by that much! Still working on an improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just picked up my 2019 two weeks ago and it did not have the gasket. I had to ask for it, which they kindly gave me. They even offered to install it before I took yak home