Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I see Johnnybravo's fix has the BOA tensioner that comes standard on the PA's. My question is, do PA's come from the factory with a cam buckle on the inside as a tensioner or do they have something else used instead?

I am currently trying to use this modification on my Compass.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same issue. I bought my outback mid August and after three or four outings I noticed the same loose rudder. I also thought it may be related to dropping temperatures. I did tighten the lines with no improvement. Hobie should add some sort of friction pad under the steering handle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Davides wrote:
I have the same issue. I bought my outback mid August and after three or four outings I noticed the same loose rudder. I also thought it may be related to dropping temperatures. I did tighten the lines with no improvement. Hobie should add some sort of friction pad under the steering handle.

Recently got a 2019, and got it out twice before the ban, about 4 hrs total. Hard left turn after a few seconds. Very small bend in the rudder, and can't see that be the complete culprit, but will heat that up and straighten it. Had some slop in the cables so tightened those up. Tightened the top screw maybe 1/8th turn. The cable adjustment should help anyway.

Then I noticed looking at the rudder from the rear while it's down. The complete rudder assembly is on the right side of the keel strip. I'll take it on the water again first, to test what I've done. But looks like I'll need to remove the complete assembly to see if I can center it. Initial view, it looks like the hull is molded so the rudder assembly doesn't have a side to side adjustment, but we'll see once I get on the water, after the adjustments.

Love the kayak though, and this won't dissuade me. Others mentioned about adding a tensioner, or just hold the rudder. Whether reeling in a fish, taking pics, looking thru binoculars, or eating a sandwich, holding a rudder shouldn't have to be required. As for the tensioner, there should be one on the handle. This is an expensive kayak in Canada. I shouldn't have to buy parts to fix a problem that shouldn't exist.

I'll follow up with some results. Not sure how long the ban will last.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I took the rudder apart this morning out of boredom, and get aquainted on how this works. And when I was putting it back together, I notice a concern. The area of the hull that houses the rudder assembly is listed/tilted to the left. So the rudder tube is tilted, and thus the rudder. The pics show this pretty well.

A ruler on the left side, flush with the rudder hits the protector past 1/2 way. Ruler on the ride side misses the guard by about 5mm.

I reached out to the dealer this morning. If no support from Hobie, I may be able to shim the top left side rudder housing to make the complete assembly vertical.

Well the pics didn't work...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So the pics didn't work, but the dealer got back to me and we're discussing.

To help explain this a little better...

I took the rudder shaft out of the housing then backed off the screws to move the top plate away for access. I then put a mop handle through the housing and the hull, the handle will be a few degrees left on the top and a few degrees right on the bottom. Think 1125 on a clock, but not that drastic. Interesting dilemma...

Gonna try with a small shim under the left side of the top T part of the housing, and match it under the right of the bottom part of the housing. It's a good thing I'm bord and can't use the thing.