Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Getting the 2019 outback in February and would like to upgrade my fishfinder to take advantage of the new transducer well. I would love to get a good side scanning system with GPS but not sure if I should go with Lowrance or another brand. What is the consensus out there on best setup for the new 2019 transducer mounting system?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any major brand is pretty amazing right now. I have a Garmin 73SV Chirp and I love it.

I think most folks think Humminbird has the best SI, but it is a slim lead. I chose Garmin over HB or Lowrance because the GPS in my previous HB would have a speed of 0.1mph when I was sitting still. I did not pick Lowrance because I read about a lot of folks being unhappy with their customer service. Also at the time Garmin was the only brand to have a Quickdraw feature. I think they all have it now.

I forget about them but Raymarine products seem to have a very loyal following as well.

I don't think you can make a bad decision, but I know it can be hard to make the decision. Best of luck!

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ended up with a Lowrance Elite Ti with sidescan. I love sidescan and I would pay an extra 100 dollars for it again. I really liked how easy it was to navigate a touchscreen for the elite ti and also the rest of the interface seemed well laid out. The Huminbird and Garmin also seemed like very nice units. As pdxfisher said I don't think you can go wrong.

There was a killer deal on the Lowrance for black Friday so that's what I got (9inch with sidescan and navionics plus for 600). I believe Gander outdoors if you have one nearby has a garmin 73sv on sale for somewhere around 500 and also has a huminbird 7inch with sidescan on sale until the end of the year.

No matter which direction youd go I'd recommend one capable of having maps with contour lines.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a lowrwmce 7ti. As mentioned a touch screen makes things simple. Great product but Humminbird is also another solid option. I had those on my used bass boat and like them, but you’re not getting a 7” touch screen from Humminbird unless something has changed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the Hook2 5 with sonar, down imaging, and inland maps. Absolutely great for the price but...

Hindsight I would have bought the Hook2 7 triple shot with inland maps. I fish Crappie a lot and the side scan seems like it would be great fro confirming what the down imaging is showing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All!

We have recently upgraded to a 2020 Outback. I would like to take advantage of the new guardarian transducer mount, however, trying to find a fish-finder that has all of my "wishes" under a price point (thinking $500) is proving to be a tough decision.

I am currently looking at the Garmin Echomap, 64CV, which gives me only chirp VS the Lowrance elite with sidescan VS the humminbird helix 5 chirp?

I have a possible deal on the Garmin Echomap, which makes me lean towards that. I like the GPS capabilities as well as the full maps. I'm on the fence on the sideview or not. I'm currently in FL, however, will be headed to AK very soon, so trying to balance what might be best in both locations.

Have any of you done the Echomap (comes with the GT23M-TM tranducer) with the guardian mount?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ibzyak wrote:
Hello All!

We have recently upgraded to a 2020 Outback. I would like to take advantage of the new guardarian transducer mount, however, trying to find a fish-finder that has all of my "wishes" under a price point (thinking $500) is proving to be a tough decision.

I am currently looking at the Garmin Echomap, 64CV, which gives me only chirp VS the Lowrance elite with sidescan VS the humminbird helix 5 chirp?

I have a possible deal on the Garmin Echomap, which makes me lean towards that. I like the GPS capabilities as well as the full maps. I'm on the fence on the sideview or not. I'm currently in FL, however, will be headed to AK very soon, so trying to balance what might be best in both locations.

Have any of you done the Echomap (comes with the GT23M-TM tranducer) with the guardian mount?

I have not done the Echomap but I've recently been looking into upgrading my current Lowrance down scan unit and doing some research. What I've found the overall opinion from reviews I've seen is Hummingbird comes in first as they have the best side scan clarity followed by Lowrance then Garmin (a distant third). Raymarine wasn't in this conversation since they don't currently offer a side scan unit. I know you have a budget but you won't get a quality unit with side scan in that range unless you buy used. I strongly recommend a side scan unit. Kayak fishing isn't like fish out of a boat. In a boat if you go to a spot and nothing is biting you can move to another spot. Not so easy in a kayak. I want to have every tool I can available to make the most out of my trips. Side scan let's you see fish/structure you normally would pass up. For a middle of the road side scan unit you'll spend $800-$900 for new. You can find them for less but you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Raymarine now has the Element 7HV. From what i am hearing and seeing, it will give Hummingbird a run for the money, if not beat them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rc109a wrote:
Raymarine now has the Element 7HV. From what i am hearing and seeing, it will give Hummingbird a run for the money, if not beat them.

Thanks for that rc! Based on what I'm seeing this unit is the real deal. The down vision (or down scan) is by far superior to anything I've seen. The side scan looks to match Hummingbird for sure. The 7" screen comes in at $750 with the all in one transducer and Navionics US card. This will definitely take some sales from Hummingbird as well as Lowrance.

This has moved to the top of my list.