Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Humminbird Helix 7 setup
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an Outback 2019 with the new transducer plate and I have installed a standard Humminbird DI GPS unit, not side imaging, and the transducer mounts on top of the pate so the sonar has to project thru the plate itself. On the sonar display the plate is showing up and typically would not be a problem but I fish in shallow water with grass and the water bottom is all showing up together. Is there something in the settings to have it not show the first 1" or so or is there something in the mounting that could be done to not have the plate show up on the display? Open to any suggestions. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You say you see the plate on the screen and in the same time the water bottom.

What do you want to hide? bottom or top?

( you shoudn't see the plate on screen :? )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote=or so or is there something in the mounting that could be done to not have the plate show up on the display? Open to any suggestions. Thanks.[/quote]

I have the same Helix 7, although mine does have SI.
Just mount it off the transom H-rail. No hull to deal with. Clean install.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It was my understanding that CHIRP units all had a "blind spot" in the upper few inches of the water column. I am very surprised that you can see the plate at all. The transducer is supposed to be mounted slightly above the plate, leaving a water gap, with no contact between them. Perhaps your transducer is loosely contacting and acoustically "rattling" the plate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jim_MI wrote:
It was my understanding that CHIRP units all had a "blind spot" in the upper few inches of the water column. I am very surprised that you can see the plate at all. The transducer is supposed to be mounted slightly above the plate, leaving a water gap, with no contact between them. Perhaps your transducer is loosely contacting and acoustically "rattling" the plate?

The water gap is just for avoid sand to stay there...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had an HB598 DI unit in the past and shot through the hull without interference problems. I used a putty well inside the hull fill with water and I pressed the xducer down against the hull when I did this. I would recommend the same thing here. I would not leave a gap between the xducer and the plate. If there are issues of debris collecting around the xducer you could drill a few holes for extra drainage.

Alternately, you could certainly try mounting the xducer on the plate like the SI installs and raise and lower it as needed.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am getting a Hobie Outback 2019 and a Humminbird Helix 5 Chirp DI G2, would I need special kit to mount my transducer?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m curious if this problem was fixed. I’m putting my old transducer from my boat (boat’s getting an upgraded Garmin and transducer). The old lowrance transducer I’m putting on my Outback is a standard (non side scan) transom mount transducer. I was wondering how mounting it inside the guardian plate worked. Will there be any trouble shooting through the plastic plate?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

felvic wrote:
Jim_MI wrote:

The water gap is just for avoid sand to stay there...

The water gap is also, and primarily, there to avoid trapping air bubbles under the transducer. My guess is that's what you are seeing. Try just adjusting the transducer up a little and see if the problem goes away.