Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback 2019 storage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,
Great forum with loads of info.
New OB19 is on the way and while waiting, am working on the accessories and mounting solutions.
One important thing is that the kayak will be stored under a quite easy accessible deck but needs to be put on a sort of arms /shelf.
I read that Hobie and many recommend to store it hull up (upside down) and my question is:
What area of the kayak can be put resting in an arm? ( width wise)
I was thinking of the area where the molded rod holders are but not sure. It will rest days or even weeks between use and don't want to risk having deformation in the hull.

Post subject: Re: Outback 2019 storage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Found this on the OB19 manual pg30.
Looks like these are the recommended area to put the cross bars.
Can any expert here confirm?

ImageKayak storage by kayakdropshot, on Flickr

Last edited by kayakdropshot on Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Looks good. I would divide the length into thirds for the best weight distribution. The drawing looks pretty much like that. It is not super critical though. Close enough.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't believe there is no safe way to store an Outback upright. They seem to do alright sitting upright in the showroom! How is that done safely?
I'm storing my 2019 Outback in my garage on a trailer that has a large flat surface (about 2/3 the boat length).
This boat is heavy and I'm beating the crap out of it, and my trailer, trying to flip it over on it's back every time I take it out.
Not to mention having to remove every attachment. Someone please tell me there is a safe way to store this thing sitting the way it floats.

Thank you in advance for any help I can get.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How about storing on a water bed? :wink:

I for one can't believe that storing or transporting a Hobie on 2" to 3" OD PVC parallel pipes is not safe.

My 2013 PA-14 has been stored on my Hobie Trailex trailer, with parallel 2.9" OD, schedule 40 PVC pipes, set on cross supports 67" apart AND allowed to "sag and conform to the hull shape" for now 6 years. I slotted the PVC so it will move and sag, conforming to the hull shape. The PA-14 is a heavy Hobie.

I have not seen any issues with the floor/deck buckling or changing shape. My "loaded with gear" PA-14 is about 180 pounds and the PVC conforms really well to the hull.

I snug fit and do not cinch down tight, the safety straps on my PA to the trailer while on the road and make sure the straps are loose once back home.

For a lighter weight Hobie, I would use 2" OD schedule 40 PVC.

This photo, shot from the stern, shows how the PVC sags and conforms to the PA-14 hull shape.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
How about storing on a water bed? :wink:

I for one can't believe that storing or transporting a Hobie on 2" to 3" OD PVC parallel pipes is not safe.

My 2013 PA-14 has been stored on my Hobie Trailex trailer, with parallel 2.9" OD, schedule 40 PVC pipes, set on cross supports 67" apart AND allowed to "sag and conform to the hull shape" for now 6 years. I slotted the PVC so it will move and sag, conforming to the hull shape. The PA-14 is a heavy Hobie.

I have not seen any issues with the floor/deck buckling or changing shape. My "loaded with gear" PA-14 is about 180 pounds and the PVC conforms really well to the hull.

I snug fit and do not cinch down tight, the safety straps on my PA to the trailer while on the road and make sure the straps are loose once back home.

For a lighter weight Hobie, I would use 2" OD schedule 40 PVC.

This photo, shot from the stern, shows how the PVC sags and conforms to the PA-14 hull shape.

I don't see PVC tubes causing any issues either. For my PA14 I went with 3" SDR 35 PVC on my trailer which is a thinner wall pipe than schedule 40 and has more flex. The supporting cross members on my trailer are spaced at 48" which allowed me to go with a thinner wall pipe. I think as long as it's not strapped down on the trailer for extended periods it would be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, I just installed a rear hatch on my 2019 and if the entire boat is as thick as that section I'd think it would be fine on something like PVC bunks.

I was doing some searching yesterday after my post and found that Hobie is now selling cradles for the 2019 part number 72020427.
Since that is the case I'd assume the manual needs to be amended to include cradles as a safe storage method. Hopefully someone from Hobie can confirm that in this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Those Hobie cradles are awesome! I went with PVC on my trailer for easier loading and unloaded a loaded PA 14. With all my gear it's well over 150 lbs. and I need something that didn't require a lot of back work on my part. Otherwise I would have the Hobie cradles for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I store mine hanging hull-up on two 2” web straps that hit the boat right where the black plastic accessory moldings/h-bar are fitted to the boat front and rear. Seems to very strong there and they are located about 1/3 the length of the boat from bow or stern.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

podunk209 wrote:
Yeah, I just installed a rear hatch on my 2019 and if the entire boat is as thick as that section I'd think it would be fine on something like PVC bunks.

I was doing some searching yesterday after my post and found that Hobie is now selling cradles for the 2019 part number 72020427.
Since that is the case I'd assume the manual needs to be amended to include cradles as a safe storage method. Hopefully someone from Hobie can confirm that in this thread.

$258 bucks seems pretty steep.

They look nice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been told that the craddle is design for the hobie hull respective model. It needs to be spaced apart about 67" which is the optimum distance for a safe transport (or storage)
Price is the only barrier for a piece of plastic.

Hopefully someone make a video of how he mold his own ones :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kayakdropshot wrote:
Price is the only barrier for a piece of plastic.

Hopefully someone make a video of how he mold his own ones :)

In my particular situation the platform that my Outback sits on is a pair of hinged doors with storage for paddles.
Even if I was prepared to shell out for the factory cradles I'd have to cut them in half and figure out how to mount them.
My plan is to mold my own using some expanding fence post foam available from the big box hardware store.
I'll try and document my efforts and, if successful, I'll post how I did it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Following this topic closely then :)

I recall i watched a video on kayak repairs where someone will use wax paper with layers of fibre glass inside to match the shape of a kayak he was repairing.
He said this is a good method to prepare an awkward shaped piece of fibre that will be used to fill a crack / hole or whatsoever.
Unfortunately i cannot find this video (forgot which one)
Could have used the same method to make the first layer of the craddle shape and start from there.