Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Maybe I’m over paranoid but is there a weight capacity for the cargo area behind the seat? Seems like I can easily press it down some. Normally not an issue for me but I am going on a multiple overnight camping trip and looking to carry a full yeti 35 and camping gear. Should be fine, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As long as you're within the weight capacity of the kayak (425 lbs.) and you make an effort to distribute the weight as evenly as possible, you'll be fine. For example, I carry a full Livewell V2 (8gal x 8.35 lbs./gal = 66.8 lbs.) plus a Yeti Hopper Flip 18 with ice, drinks and food for the day in my cargo area. I'll typically offset this with a Large Fish Bag w/ 14 - 20 lbs. of ice on the bow, then of course when the bag fills up there's more weight up there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HStrech wrote:
As long as you're within the weight capacity of the kayak (425 lbs.) and you make an effort to distribute the weight as evenly as possible, you'll be fine. For example, I carry a full Livewell V2 (8gal x 8.35 lbs./gal = 66.8 lbs.) plus a Yeti Hopper Flip 18 with ice, drinks and food for the day in my cargo area. I'll typically offset this with a Large Fish Bag w/ 14 - 20 lbs. of ice on the bow, then of course when the bag fills up there's more weight up there.

Howie, i think that the OP wanted a more precise weight capacity for the rear cargo only. Not the overall kayak capacity. His issue is the later of rotomolded materials seems thin as he can press it with his hand.
What this specific area can hold without damaging or cause some sort of warping of the shape.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, just the cargo area. Seems like can hold 50-60lbs by your setup. Just want to make sure I don’t cause any permanent damage. Was curious if hobie had specific capacity for it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I second an official number on this - I am looking to carry a fully loaded Yeti 65 back there! Done it on my 2015 for years with a modified holder I made, so I would really hope that big new back tray is more than capable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

my Outback is very balanced and happy with 75# on the back... :D

actually, it also didn't mind having 75#+185#, at least for a while, during our self recovery practice...

I think you will do just fine with a cooler or heavy fishing box on the rear deck, I carry all my gear up front, crab pots on the bow, and fill the front hold with our catch, leaving the rear deck all clear for Pepper to ride there, kayak is very balanced for bottom fishing and ocean salmon trolling...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks @rogerdoger...you've got a nice fishing buddy there.

After seeing this, not too worried about rear capacity issues...and quite impressive how flat it remains with both of you on the back part.