Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am really interested in purchasing the new Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12 with 360 drive. I am new to the world of kayaks, and I am very intrigued by this kayak. The price is the biggest thing that is getting to me. The Hobie Mirage Outback is also one I would be interested in purchasing. From what I read they usually have a newer model each year. I was wondering does anyone have any idea of what to expect from the newer Outback models? Like, are they putting the 360 drive in it or any of their other models? Is there anywhere online I can go to get information on what to expect in the next model or is it all just a guessing and waiting game?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

just my feeling based on being a Hobie customer (addict) since 2012, the Outback got a huge (amazing) redesign for 2019 and seems unlikely to have any big changes soon. more likely are small changes, like better (stronger) side accessory tracks...adding an Outback 360 model would seem to require a significant investment in new tooling.

On the other hand, the Revo line seems to be top of the list for a design update, possibly along the lines of the Outback (lower drag hull design, dual side steering, drop down rudder, rectangular hatch, Guardian transducer mount). This sort of significant change to the design and tooling might make it easier to add the 360 drive to at least one of the Revo models...maybe. hopefully. :D

cheers, roger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree with rogerdodger I don't see any more big changes coming to the Outback for a while. I also don't see the current 360 drive ever being available for the current Outback design. Too much sideways torque would make that really stable kayak tippy in a hurry.

Rogerdodger I am hoping you're correct. I would love to see Hobie make the Revo's up to a foot longer and ever so slightly wider similar to what they did with the Outback. Longer kayaks just perform better in most conditions. Even a 12' fishing kayak can still be used on most rivers pretty easy.