Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ve taken my outback out twice and have always come back to find water inside the boat, and I have to sponge off the water after every session. To find the leak I made sure the inside was completely dry and then poured water over the entire kayak. I discovered the leak is coming from the rectangular hatch front screws are. Any suggestions on how to get this fixed? The dealer is over a hours drive from my place so if I can fix this myself I would much prefer that.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If it's still under warranty I would check with your dealer and see what they recommend. I know you have a long drive to your dealer but a leaking kayak is a recipe for disaster and it will likely result in you not going fishing. Not to mention it will be hard to sell down the road.

One thing to try that shouldn't affect the warranty is to remove the screws and lift up the hatch and make sure the grey gasket under the hatch lip is properly in place and doesn't have any wrinkles, gaps or cuts in it. Also make sure the hatch isn't cracked where it is leaking. Try spreading a thin layer of Vaseline, or petroleum jelly on the underside of the hatch lip where the screws are making sure you have plenty in the area where it is leaking. If you don't have a gasket you'll need to order one.

Here's a video from Hobie on installing a hatch. At 1:39 it gives you a look at what the gasket should look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8eMLF7UODg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:07 am 
Site Admin

A small amount of sealant on each leaking screw would fix it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)