Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Recently bought a 2020 outback.
Has anyone tried mounting the boonedox landing gear to the gear tracks? It works on the titan, dont see why it wouldnt work for an outback. I would like to do a no-drill option if possible. I realize that would potentially block off part of the tank well but its so big i think i could fit both my crate and the boonedox bar no problem. Thoughts?

I have a ctug now but it is clumsy trying to get it on and off the cart on the boat ramp w/out dragging it too much. Ive seen people say just use the hobie scupper cart but you have to be in the water a bit to do that and i fish year round in PA including some cold temps (with a dry suit)... looking for a solution where im not knee to thigh deep in the water...

Open to suggestions! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the forum!

As long as you can get an adequate backing plate under the gear tracks (inside the hull), use bolts and make sure the gear tracks are parallel to each other I don't see why not. I would make the backing plate slightly wider and longer than the gear track just to make sure there's added protection against the hull.

The important thing with Boondox IMO is how they are used. I never use my Boondox on anything other than asphalt, concrete or sand. EVER. I never pull my kayak off a curb with the landing gear down, hit pot holes, etc. As long as you can avoid impact to the kayaks hull you'll be fine.

Last edited by Swfinatic on Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's a similar topic. This is talking about mounting AMA Sidekicks but it is the same principle just a beefier install.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65929

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Swfinatic wrote:
Here's a similar topic. This is talking about mounting AMA Sidekicks but it is the same principle just a beefier install.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65929

Nice work on the build. Not sure on the strength of the attachment points though for boondocks type stuff. The complete weight of the kayak and accessories will be dependant on those attachment areas. I'm researching this too, but haven't tried lifting the kayak from the rear rails.