Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt
Will the 2020 new Kick up fins be an upgrade possibility for the 2019 outbacks?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The difference I see is the stopper, which is removed because the new boom is wider. Maybe a little trim of this stoper will help. :)
I'm also interested in what Matt will say about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes I am interested as well. We are currently scheduled to demo both the Compass and Outback this Saturday. It would not be good if we buy an Outback Saturday then find out Kick Up fins will be available on 2020 model Outbacks in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Swfinatic wrote:
Yes I am interested as well. We are currently scheduled to demo both the Compass and Outback this Saturday. It would not be good if we buy an Outback Saturday then find out Kick Up fins will be available on 2020 model Outbacks in a few weeks.

Already the forecast for sale of the upgrande for Outback 2019?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

gladisonoliveira not sure what you mean. I did find out a couple of things. This will be available for 2020 model Hobie kayaks with the 180 drive. Also there will be an upgrade kit available for current 180 drives. Still not clear what the cost will be for the upgrade kit or if it will be available for drives other than the 180 and not clear what the cost increase on buying a 2020 kayak with the kick up fins 180 drive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

We will not offer a Kick Up kit... can't. The kick-up system is not compatible with current MD 180 or other drives.

On the current spine, the wider booms would hit the hull and not allow the fins to make a full sweep. The fins would not be able to get flat to the hull for beaching/shallow water. We had to modify the spine (new mold) to drop the sprocket shaft about a quarter of an inch lower in the well. Note that the depth of the fin tips is the same. The masts and fins are shorter.

The new drives are backward compatible otherwise.

To do an upgrade you would need to replace the spine too.

In any case, these will not be available as parts until at least next spring due to production demands as all the parts we can get are needed for new boats.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking at upgrading to a pedal kayak. The 2019 Hobie Outback appears to have fixed just about everything that was keeping me from Hobie.
9Appsapk.vin VidMateapp.vinvlc.vin

Last edited by smithclarkson01 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

smithclarkson01 wrote:
Looking at upgrading to a pedal kayak. The 2019 Hobie Outback appears to have fixed just about everything that was keeping me from Hobie.
9Apps VidMate.vin9Apps

Waiting on our new Outback to come in this week. It really is as close to the perfect kayak as possible IMO.

I'm still holding out hope that Hobie will add one foot of length and one inch of width to the Revo 13's & 16's for increased speed, stability and deck space.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Swfinatic wrote:
smithclarkson01 wrote:
9Apps VidMate.vin9Apps

Waiting on our new Outback to come in this week. It really is as close to the perfect kayak as possible IMO.

I'm still holding out hope that Hobie will add one foot of length and one inch of width to the Revo 13's & 16's for increased speed, stability and deck space.

the only thing that would get me to part with my 2019 Outback is going to be an amazing new 2021 Revo 13. and even then, I might keep the Outback and just add the Revo... :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rogerdodger I have not heard about the new 2021 Revo 13. Please fill me in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Swfinatic wrote:
rogerdodger I have not heard about the new 2021 Revo 13. Please fill me in.

it is only in my mind at this point but paying attention to the recent design cycle of Hobies, the Revo looks stale and must be top of the list for a new hull design. Add some features (dual side steering, rectangular hatch, drop down rudder, h-rail or trax on each side) and incorporate flow improvements to the hull (just as fast but slightly more stable? or slightly faster and just as stable?), plus maybe slightly lower sides....now that I think about it, just add 2 feet to an Outback and narrow it by 2 or 3 inches. that sounds pretty sweet to me. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lol gotcha. Funny you say that I've mentioned this a few months ago to Hobie about re-vamping the Revo. Offshore kayak fishing is more popular now than ever especially along the Texas coast. Anytime I go there is one kayak that is clearly prefered over all others and that is the Viking Profish Reloads. There's a reason they are the most popular offshore fishing kayak in the world. I just don't see Revo's that often. I see ten times the Outbacks than I do Revo's and the common thing I hear is Revo's are too unstable yet the Profish Reloads are only 2" wider than the Revo's. IMO there's a huge void to be filled with a slightly more stable offshore pedal kayak that is still efficient. This is why I say widen the Revo's by 2" and add one foot in length to help offset the added width.

I know Hobie has the AMA Sidekicks that help with stability but honestly I don't want to add any more work to the already extensive list of things I need to do to rig up for a fishing trip. I would rather pay the money I would spend on a Sidekicks kit towards a re-vamped more stable Revo.

Not sure if a rectangle hatch would fit but that would be awesome.

We can hope right!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Swfinatic wrote:
Lol gotcha. Funny you say that I've mentioned this a few months ago to Hobie about re-vamping the Revo. Offshore kayak fishing is more popular now than ever especially along the Texas coast. Anytime I go there is one kayak that is clearly prefered over all others and that is the Viking Profish Reloads. There's a reason they are the most popular offshore fishing kayak in the world. I just don't see Revo's that often. I see ten times the Outbacks than I do Revo's and the common thing I hear is Revo's are too unstable yet the Profish Reloads are only 2" wider than the Revo's. IMO there's a huge void to be filled with a slightly more stable offshore pedal kayak that is still efficient. This is why I say widen the Revo's by 2" and add one foot in length to help offset the added width.

I know Hobie has the AMA Sidekicks that help with stability but honestly I don't want to add any more work to the already extensive list of things I need to do to rig up for a fishing trip. I would rather pay the money I would spend on a Sidekicks kit towards a re-vamped more stable Revo.

Not sure if a rectangle hatch would fit but that would be awesome.

We can hope right!

here in the NW and off the Oregon Coast, Revo 13 is a very popular boat for the serious off shore folks, especially those that go out several miles for halibut. The Outback is great here for chasing bottom fish and salmon out to a mile or 2 off shore in 3' to 4' swells (and in my case, with a 75# dog on the back), but I will admit, last Saturday, a mile off shore with a strong current pushing me north, I was pedaling my legs off to get back into our river before high tide, and wishing like hell I was on a Revo (and by myself, well not really). lol.

regarding the rectangle hatch, remember that they rotated it on the Outback...I think it would fit just fine on a new Revo.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It’s interesting to read this thread comparing Revo 13 and Outback. I originally was going to choose between these but bought a 2019 Outback. Then a little used 2016 Revo 13 came up on Craig’s List so I got it, too. As I thought, the Outback is sublime for its stability and the Revo 13 great for speed and easy movement through the water. I have the Sidekick mounted on the Revo for sailing and would use it offshore but don’t bother when inshore.

I don’t know about a wider Revo as that would seem like an Outback. Possibly a Revo that has the lines of the single Adventure Island with smaller non-inflatable AMAs/Akas? Anyway, I’m happy with my fleet (for now).