Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased the Passport 10.5 and haven't put a kayak on a roof rack yet. I'm a little worried about the rudder getting damaged when resting the stern on the ground while the bow is resting on the car top (right before I lift the stern and push forwards). I think the Compass kayak loader may help prevent damage.

Would the compass kayak loader fit on the Passport or am I overthinking this and it really isn't needed on my kayak?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:11 am 
Hobie Team Member

The Compass loader is specifically designed for the Compass and will not work with your Passport. The Passport has a twist and stow style rudder that would get in the way. The Passport does have a plastic skid protector on the stern section of the keel if you need to raise it up on the end when loading. You could also use something like Rhino Universal Side Loader to make car topping the kayak easier.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rudder housing is definitely a problem when loading onto an SUV. The 12 is better than the 10.5 but both are problematic. If you load the rear first, balancing the nose on the ground you can avoid damage to the housing but the yak rides with a slight tilt upwards (at least with my YakAttack Sweetrolls) which concerns me for any highway travel. I'm exploring whether I can use a foam block like those for car topping a canoe as protection for that housing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I also use the front nose on ground method to load my 12' passport. I actually load from front of car (not worried about an old suv but no scratches yet) by pivoting yak nose on ground and propping rudder section on hood. Then with the aid of a long piece of rubber backed runner carpet (cheap at box store), a bathmat and some little suction cup roll thing I got from my dealer (it is supposed to go on back windshield but I put on hood), I load by myself with very little upper body strength. You can probably find a solution without a compass loader for your car with a little patience, practice with a buddy and maybe some YouTube videos. good luck