Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need a short kayak to transport vertically in a cargo rack. Wondering if anyone knows if the 10.5 Passport tracks straight when stop paddling? Does the 12 Passport track straight? I'd like to find a kayak that efficiently glides/tracks straight and I've found small non-Hobie sit on style ones usually spin out when you stop paddling. I'm considering a 11 Revolution too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You realize they have a rudder and a pedal drive? So yes you can steer it straight the 12' of course handles a bit better but they both work as advertised

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 5'4', 125lb woman trying to decide between the Passport 10.5 and 12. This will be my first pedal kayak; I have owned and paddled a Perception Sonoma 13.5 for nearly 20 years.
Prior post indicates that a heavy man will notice significant differences in tracking.
Do you think those differences would be amplified or lessened for me - a much smaller person.
I will be using this boat recreationally on a 350 acre lake in fair weather with some windy days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

damselfly wrote:
I am 5'4', 125lb woman trying to decide between the Passport 10.5 and 12. This will be my first pedal kayak; I have owned and paddled a Perception Sonoma 13.5 for nearly 20 years.
Prior post indicates that a heavy man will notice significant differences in tracking.
Do you think those differences would be amplified or lessened for me - a much smaller person.
I will be using this boat recreationally on a 350 acre lake in fair weather with some windy days.

I have had PM12 for a about 2 months now. And, as long as the rudder is down, and centered, it tracks as straight as an arrow. This weekend, I was even peddling with a stiff 7-8kt wind to my side and it it didn't push me off course. Now, I'm not a "Heavy Man" -- But my kids will jump on the back of my 12 when I paddle, for a total of 225-250lbs, and it tracks no differently.

As far as deciding between the 10 and the 12 for on the water performance, I cannot think of a single reason to go with the 10 over the 12. That being said, the 12 is noticeable heavier. So if you will be putting it on / off the roof of a car, or carry by yourself, going with the 10 could make more sense.