Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My 12' passport is on the way but I am undecided on the cart.
While I liked the storage and function of Hobie plugin, I will often be using cement ramps and don't want to drag my passport over cement til I can tip on side to install.
I could (theoretically according to YouTube) attach c-tug in shallow water on my own and am leaning this way, but are cinching down the straps a bad idea for the passport being thermoformed?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

These boats a way thicker than you would think. When I put in my front and rear hatches I was surprised at the thickness. There was almost a 1/4" of plastic. The short time you are going to have it on the tug is nothing. I have transported two 12' boats on top of each other in the socal sun for an hour with no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 am 
Site Admin

The plug-in carts are way easier to deal with.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the quick and knowledgeable replies! I will try to update my newbie/out of shape thoughts on cart choice this summer, but would be interested to hear everyones thoughts.
I would love to see a boonedox style landing gear endorsed by Hobie for us old eastcoasters- but realize the current limitations and possible issues with the product.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have bought several of the Hobie carts through the ages. We have a pair of Outfitter kayaks used occasionally and an Oasis used regularly (all tandems). Last summer I bought a C-Tug with SandTrakz wheels having gotten tired of fighting to get the posts in and out of the kayaks on land and water. Since then the C-Tug is the only cart we have used (and on many types of terrain) and life is way better.

The Hobie carts are solid, well-made, and carry a lot of weight. But for a heavier tandem kayak with a motor and accessories being launched and retrieved solo, I find them to a be a challenge to use. The C-Tug does not seem as sturdy but nothing has broken yet.

Peter