Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt Miller always says "Your dealer has the best knowledge about when something will arrive."

My dealer (California Canoe and Kayak in Oakland, CA) "Hobie isn't telling us anything. There are no ETAs on any of the 21 Hobie parts we have had on order - some since June 2020."

*sigh*

Will Hobie ever recover from the pandemic?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

They have the same list as I do. My buyer provides best estimates (my buyer has about 3,000 SKUs to track), but with things like 52 container ships at anchor off Long Beach... Some stuff is sitting out there 2-4 weeks in addition to the transit times. Then getting trucks to deliver... it is a nightmare. Our vendors all have the same issues we do. Covid shut downs, labor shortages, material shortages, shipping delays and rising costs all across the board.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any updates on ETAs for Lynx accessories?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

What specifically?

72020305 MAT KIT has been shipping. Still some back orders.
72020603 Power Pole Kit is in stock.
84500122 LYNX H-Bar has been shipping. Still back orders.
84626106 H-Rail KIT, Lynx has been shipping. Still back orders.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There must still be A LOT of back orders. Maybe an accessory that I ordered will show up in time to go under the Christmas tree, but I'm not holding my breath, and neither is my dealer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the backorder volume is still high. But! it has improved tremendously over last spring. The volume is maybe a 3rd of what it was and we are seeing improvements in inventory levels in the parts and accessories warehouse.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt

I run a business that routinely deals with moving containers from China and India into both Seattle and LA ports so I understand the challenges. What I don’t understand is this. Hobie is using a shipper to move their product in containers, despite port delays , container shortages, driver shortages in the states , etc. we are still able to forecast when ships will arrive in port and roughly when unloading of those ships will occur. Most commitment dates tend to slip a couple weeks, however, we still have product flowing monthly and are still able to give our customers estimated delivery dates for our full range of products. If we have a supplier in China who can’t deliver or is at capacity we spool up another supplier. What in the world is Hobie doing when they can get a very simple aluminum extrusion for h-rail built and delivered to customers? The h-rail has no computer chips, no special technology, no special material…. 1)

Why is Hobie so incapable of managing their supply base to resolve this problem ?
Why can’t Hobie provide reasonable timelines to its distributors so they can communicate with customers like me who have purchased the Lynx kayaks and are stuck unable to fit out their boats …?
Why can’t Hobie get a new supplier to build their h-rails ?

Hobie management needs to evaluate who they have managing their business , fire the responsible supply chain manager or managers and get this problem resolved. There is no excuse for what hobie is doing to their customer base. FIX THIS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, it is frustrating for sure. There are ETAs provided to dealers... so not zero.

The factory has always prioritized boat production first and then parts and accessories. This is not just about supply chain issues though. It is raw materials shortages, labor shortages, sales spikes, long lead times... many issues. There have been many changes in the purchasing and planning side of the business and they are working on this. More investment in staffing, raw materials, tooling, second sourcing. Still, there are many, many moving pieces and not enough labor here to analyze every inbound item (I have over 6,000 SKUs in my inventory) to determine ETAs all the way through to factory production and distribution. We have never been a high-tech company in the factory with the planning and production scheduling and I can only provide what information is given me to then give that to dealers.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)