Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dave Miomich wrote:
Another view, showing the bend matching the hull curve.

Any chance you could share the parts you used to create this? The more detailed the better...Any issues since you installed it? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:39 am 
Site Admin

350 kits assembled and ready to ship this week.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does that mean they’ll be in stock somewhere or is that mostly/all backorders? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

This is just a portion of the back orders. No idea if dealers have sold though though.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
This is just a portion of the back orders. No idea if dealers have sold though though.

Thanks. I guess I'm not familiar with how this all works. Are people able to order/backorder directly from Hobie? Or is this batch shipping to dealers? I'm just trying to figure out a strategy to buy a set of these and i'm late to the party. I can preorder from Melton Tackle who has a tentative date of Jul 8. Or I can wait for my local dealer to get some in stock. None of these options are looking great, obviously. Thanks again for any info you can provide.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:24 am 
Site Admin

We only sell to dealers, so order from them: https://www.hobie.com/dealers/

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Called all the local dealers in SoCal, they say they don't have any and haven't gotten any recently.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I called a few dealers in the New England area and they have not idea

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

From Monday:
Quote:

Dealers would receive the following week or two.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
From Monday:
Quote:

Dealers would receive the following week or two.

Let me guess - dealers who have already received one shipment of Hobie rails are going to receive another, and dealers who don't get ANYTHING from Hobie will continue to not get anything from Hobie.

So fed up with this BS - and my local Hobie dealer is getting pretty upset as well. They can't even get ETAs on anything they've ordered, despite Matt Miller claiming that dealers get ETA information.

What's the status on Lynx deck mats? Or H-Crate covers?

The only Lynx accessory my dealer has received was the Power Pole kit - which consisted of bog standard stainless steel screws. It still took my dealer like 6 months to get a bag of screws.......

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

clearthescreen wrote:
Dave Miomich wrote:
Another view, showing the bend matching the hull curve.

Any chance you could share the parts you used to create this? The more detailed the better...Any issues since you installed it? Thanks!

Sorry, I missed your post. Again, it would have been easier to buy actual H rails, but they weren’t available. But I do like that I can now use standard T bolt track fittings and gear, and on all 4 sides.

Here’s the rail material:

1” square 4-sided T track, with rounded corners. I bought 6 ft lengths.

https://8020.net/1010-black.html

The ends are made from 1” thick HDPE from Amazon. The main dimensions are shown on the sketch below. Cuts were made on a crosscut sled on a table saw, front edges rounded on a router table. I countersunk the mounting screw holes so the screws were hidden and didn’t have to be so long. SS #14 pan head sheet metal screws fit the mounting holes on the Lynx, make sure they don’t extend more than 5/8” into the mounting holes, that seems to be what Hobie does elsewhere on the Lynx.

Bending the rails to match the hull curve (mostly!) was the hardest part, it takes patience and check as you go. I ended up setting up blocks of wood on the floor about 7” high to hold up the rail at each end of the 6 ft rail lengths I had purchased, placing about a 2 ft length of 3/4” board on top of the middle of the rails, then standing and bouncing on it until it had enough bend. Put a pice f cardboard or mat benea h the center of the rail so you don’t scratch it if you’re on concrete. The wooden board is used to help get a smoother curve instead of just a sharp bend in the middle. If you don’t get enough bend, bounce a little harder, invite a friend and/or make the end blocks taller. When you get the curve you want, determine the exact length by installing the HDPE end pieces onto your Lynx and marking the length for a close fit. Drill clearance holes for the two #14 screws at each end, then a 1/2” hole through the top of the rail so the screw head rests down into the rail slot.

I cut the rails to length, after bending, with a carbide blade on a circular saw, could also do it with a table saw. Carbide blades handle aluminum easily.

To get standard T bolts to work, I had to create entry slots about 1.5” long using a router with a 1/2” diameter carbide bit, using a simple fixture to hold the rail beneath and control the width ( a little over .5”) and length. I also ground down the edges of the T bolt flat part a bit so they would slide inside the track. Use a T bolt and a scrap piece of track to dial this in.

A later refinement I made to provide more side load strength was to make some HDPE rectangular foot pads that are a bit wider and longer than the HDPE end piece bottoms. A picture is attached.

Buying the rails is easier- if they are available! But they weren’t, and now I have rails that work great.

url=https://postimg.cc/7fWcxfYb]Image[/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/LnXwKzSr][img]https://i.postimg.cc/LnXwKzSr/7-C66-C2-A6-6409-4-F65

[url=https://postimg.cc/LnXwKzSr][img]https://i.postimg.cc/LnXwKzSr/7-C66-C2-A6-6409-4-F65

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My dealer says the Hobie rep said the H-rails were discontinued because they were breaking Lynx kayaks and they are not in the process of making new ones and that i should get a refund instead of continuing to wait for them. For me, this is somewhat devastating because i was building a track-mounted side-mounted transom mount for my Watersnake and Torqeedo trolling motors.
Update; dealer was wrong, gave me refund and then i found the H-raiils at another dealer (probably from that group of 350 that mmiller mentioned.

Last edited by jimwoodmansee1946 on Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dave Miomich wrote:

Sorry, I missed your post. Again, it would have been easier to buy actual H rails, but they weren’t available. But I do like that I can now use standard T bolt track fittings and gear, and on all 4 sides.

Here’s the rail material:

1” square 4-sided T track, with rounded corners. I bought 6 ft lengths.

https://8020.net/1010-black.html

The ends are made from 1” thick HDPE from Amazon. The main dimensions are shown on the sketch below. Cuts were made on a crosscut sled on a table saw, front edges rounded on a router table. I countersunk the mounting screw holes so the screws were hidden and didn’t have to be so long. SS #14 pan head sheet metal screws fit the mounting holes on the Lynx, make sure they don’t extend more than 5/8” into the mounting holes, that seems to be what Hobie does elsewhere on the Lynx.

Bending the rails to match the hull curve (mostly!) was the hardest part, it takes patience and check as you go. I ended up setting up blocks of wood on the floor about 7” high to hold up the rail at each end of the 6 ft rail lengths I had purchased, placing about a 2 ft length of 3/4” board on top of the middle of the rails, then standing and bouncing on it until it had enough bend. Put a pice f cardboard or mat benea h the center of the rail so you don’t scratch it if you’re on concrete. The wooden board is used to help get a smoother curve instead of just a sharp bend in the middle. If you don’t get enough bend, bounce a little harder, invite a friend and/or make the end blocks taller. When you get the curve you want, determine the exact length by installing the HDPE end pieces onto your Lynx and marking the length for a close fit. Drill clearance holes for the two #14 screws at each end, then a 1/2” hole through the top of the rail so the screw head rests down into the rail slot.

I cut the rails to length, after bending, with a carbide blade on a circular saw, could also do it with a table saw. Carbide blades handle aluminum easily.

To get standard T bolts to work, I had to create entry slots about 1.5” long using a router with a 1/2” diameter carbide bit, using a simple fixture to hold the rail beneath and control the width ( a little over .5”) and length. I also ground down the edges of the T bolt flat part a bit so they would slide inside the track. Use a T bolt and a scrap piece of track to dial this in.

A later refinement I made to provide more side load strength was to make some HDPE rectangular foot pads that are a bit wider and longer than the HDPE end piece bottoms. A picture is attached.

Buying the rails is easier- if they are available! But they weren’t, and now I have rails that work great.

Thanks for all the details, Dave. Unfortunately, I'm lacking access to a router for the standard T-bolt cutouts. But if the post below yours is true, I might just have to cancel my h-rail order and try to replicate a messier, less skilled version of what you did. :) Awesome work, btw. Really looks like a good workaround.

jimwoodmansee1946 wrote:
My dealer says the Hobie rep said the H-rails were discontinued because they were breaking Lynx kayaks and they are not in the process of making new ones and that i should get a refund instead of continuing to wait for them. For me, this is somewhat devastating because i was building a track-mounted side-mounted transom mount for my Watersnake and Torqeedo trolling motors.

Who's your dealer? I haven't seen or heard this news from anyone else. Maybe Matt or someone at Hobie can confirm or deny. I can't imagine they would discontinue them considering the demand. Seems like they would just correct the issue and re-release. But then again, who knows? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Not discontinued and the pressure from the legs causes an indent, but that is cosmetic. Not damage.

We do have the shims designed and approved, but not yet including them in kits.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

FYI, was able to get a set of rails yesterday here in So Cal