Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently restored an old 14 , and took it out in good winds 15-25 knots , while Sailing a nice reach I noticed the windward Side rail bending and ready to break . ( it now is permanently bent ) . This really is the weakest link on The 14 , The 16 shrouds all fasten to the side of the hull , so I think that's what I should do , funny thing is when I look around on-line at pics of 14s , even the High performance Sailors seem to just stay with the Side rail connection , Anybody switch theirs over ? Any pitfalls to watch out for ? The only thing I am worried about is that my hulls are a little soft in the mid section on the top , that kind of worries Me . Of course fixing soft hulls is a whole nother forum , Aloha.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have never had a problem with that. I am not sure the hull lip of a 14 is designed to take shrouds, which would need to be extended anyway. On a 16 there's a metal bar under there too.

If you are in the UK I have a pair of H14 rails that you can have.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Bent? The loads should conform to the bend designed-in... it bows inboard a bit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yah Matt , Bent up , where the chain plate is attached to the shroud, there is some corrosion underneath , it's pretty common on 14 for them to break Right there, ( thehazrds ) -- Thanks next time I'm in UK I'll come get those :-) I've even heard crazy talk of Sailors reinforcing that area with pipe or other materials like wood to circumvent the Issue, I have found a replacement and need to install , just inconvenient to have to take the whole thing apart when I just put it together, I guess that's part of the Joy , but back to the " through Hull " thing , while watching the Hobie Championship Videos on You tube it looks like a fair amount of the competitors have there Boats rigged that way , so apperantlly Matt , I am not the only one and I guess it's class legal too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There were some pics online a while ago (I can't seem to find them now) from someone who reinforced the shrouds by adding the H16 shroud anchor bar and anchor pin to the hull. Then he ran a short pigtail from the anchor pin on the hull up to the shroud adjuster on the side bar. He bolted a H16 bow tang to the stay adjuster in order to connect the pigtail. Sorry for the convoluted description, the picture would be best. Anyway, the system was relatively clean and allowed the load to be spread between the side bar and the hull flange so you get the best of both worlds.

You might also want to check for corrosion on your sidebar. It's possible that the shroud anchor holes have corroded heavily and that's what caused the sidebar to weaken and bend.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Srm , I like that Idea , Not putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak. , I own a Swager so really just reinforcing what's there , and no need to just throw out perfectly good shrouds. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:44 am 
Site Admin

Ahhh... mis read that. I was thinking the plate. Yes, the bars do bend upwards and worse if due to corrosion. No Hobie 14 was even produced in the US with shrouds to the rails. I would be concerned about damaging the rail lip

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt , Okay thanks , that is My main concern , damaging the Lip that's NOT designed to Handle that load like The 16s are .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:44 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Kiholo wrote:
while watching the Hobie Championship Videos on You tube it looks like a fair amount of the competitors have there Boats rigged that way , so apperantlly Matt , I am not the only one and I guess it's class legal too.

It's only class legal if they're made that way to begin with. Hobie Cat Europe started building them that way a few years ago. There's reinforcing inside the hull to help spread out the load. No way would I even attempt to retrofit a boat that's not rock-solid to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Kiholo, I have a 14 Turbo and my starboard siderail bent upwards as well. I took the chance and did drill through the lip on the hull on each side. I use a small section of cable or chain running between the chainplate on the siderail and down to a u-shaped bolt (it creates a loop to attach to. I also added a plate that the each side of the u-bolt goes through on the underside of the lip before the nuts are threaded on. I Thought it might distribute the force pulling on it over a wider area-I'm no engineer but I felt better lol) through the hull lip. I saw a picture of something similar online somewhere so that's where I got the idea. So in my case shroud from mast to siderail as per normal than an extra piece from siderail to hull. It's worked well for me for about a decade. The siderail can only bend up so far before it's limited by the extra piece. Having said that, this is a totally home crafted, unengineered, unofficial so an unguaranteed solution. It just did work for me. No hull breakage or anything but my hulls are still quite strong - no soft spots. The gelcoat is flaking away a little bit near the drill holes though. And with everybody wondering about the strength of the lip, now I'm psyched out. Lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Years ago, I had a similar problem with my first Hobie, a 70's vintage unirig 14. First, the chainplates got loose due to corrosion at the rivets. I moved them back slightly and re-riveted. At a later time, the side rail bent as you described. When I replaced them,out of curiosity I cut one the old ones in two in the area of the chain plate. I found an amazing amount of corrosion in the vicinity of the plates which had gotten so bad as to actually thin the walls resulting in the bend. Since I sail mostly in salt water, I've been REAL careful since to hose the boats every time I take them out, paying particular attention to that area. Had no problems on my current 14-an '82 turbo. Yet, anyway! Knock on wood.

Dave