Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have someone that is restoring a 14 and I have old 16 parts around He's in another state... am I correct to assume that I send send him a 16 rudder system. (complete, with brackets, castings, pins, rudders, arms AND CROSS BAR? and it will fit on his 14?

I suspect yes... but wasn't sure if the beam was the same - so cross bar is proper length? (tiller cross bar) not trap frame cross bar).

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

He also has no rigging (wires) and he doesn't know if it's a stardard of the tubro? he needs some wires, any way to tell which type he needs? or he can use either set depending on how he wants to run it as stock or turbo? I'm not up to snuff on 14's.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The castings are the same, but the tiller arms are shorter as is the crossbar (Hobie 14 is 6" narrower than a Hobie 16).

The only difference on the standing rigging is the forestay/bridles. On a Hobie OEM Turbo, the forestay is part of the jib and there is a roller-furling swivel attached to a pigtail at the top of the jib. The bridles are shorter, too.

However, there are several different aftermarket versions of the Turbo which have different rigging - most accommodate a halyard system for the jib, either like a 16 (block at the top, cleat on the mast) or 18-like (zipper luff with halyard secured on the luff).