Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a 14t from a guy in texas who said that he never used the jib while sailing the boat.
The boats front crossbar has no cleats on it ,that i can, see for a jib. He sold a jib with the boat.
I took the boat out last summer and had problems tacking.
What do i need to buy/install to get my jib to work properly?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The factory jib kit sheets to cleats mounted to the trampoline. There are large grommets in the tramp about 1/3 of the way back from the front crossbar. A stainless wire is mounted under the tramp, connected to the shroud tangs. The jib cleats are shackled to the wire, through the tramp. You would need the cleats, the wire assembly, upgraded shroud tangs to attach the wire, and grommets added to the tramp if they aren’t already there. You should also add a dolphin striker kit to reinforce the front crossbar.

This all assumes it is a factory jib kit. If it is aftermarket, the sheeting arrangement may be different and the cleats could need to mount somewhere else, like the front crossbar.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would help if you could better describe or provide pix of what you DO have. In addition to what srm listed, you're supposed to have a jib furler (which takes a swiveled forestay), and a jam cleat on the front crossbar for the furler line. If you don't have all this stuff, then maybe you have a "regular" H14 with a "who knows" jib, in which case the upgrade will be quite involved/costly.

If tacking is your only concern, then consider spending all that money on practice day beer instead of additional rigging. Tacking unirigs like the stock H14 and H17 requires that you do all of the sloop multihull tacking stuff well, PLUS....Let out a ton of main sheet as you come head to wind, and turn way farther on to the new tack than you think should be required. Then (and only then) gently straighten the rudders to get headway on the new tack. Then (and only then) slowly sheet in to gain speed on the new tack. Failure to do all these will put you into irons like a weather vane. When that happens, push both the boom and crossbar out in the direction you want to go. This backwinds the main and reverses the rudders so that you back up while turning onto the desired tack. Turn farther on to this tack than you think should be required, gently straighten the rudders to get headway, etc.

Hope this helps!