Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fantastic account of your journey with your vintage ‘77. I purchased what has turned out to be an ‘81 that was trailer-less in Breckinridge Co. almost 10 years ago. She was complete, and overall appeared sound. Originally sold and sailed in Laramie Wy, I felt she would make a suitable rescue/resto project. I know nothing about her past other than what I’ve stated so deductions from club stickers, dealer tags and physical observations have been my education re:boat history. A She’s been raced.....and crashed. A patch on the outside of the starboard hull, sound and watertight, albeit not pretty, suggests so. Out side of that the hulls are firm, dry and fairly clean. The bottoms bear the signs of beach wear but are watertight. The pylons are sound, the corner castings snug and I’ve squared her and installed a new factory Hobie vinyl tramp/line. I’ve installed all new standing rigging complete with updated/current adjusters on shrouds and forestay. I’ve also replaced the mast step and pin and rudder pins. The rudder system is shaggy.....like a bale of straw. I’ve got new cams....need shims, bushings and rudder blades. I’m guessing the six batten Hobie Sail is OE; also just this side of a cleaning rag. I’ve replaced and re capped battens......and it flows air well enough to tear around the lake. The main sheet has been hacked on......way too short....but functional. The main block is a “seaway” setup.....actually fairly easy to use but not “low profile”. Down haul is a line/cleat in main track..out haul is a line/v jam. Sail is tired enough to allow both to be “maxed out” ....downhaul will still flex mast. Mast is straight and clean with comp tip and has a good main halyard on it. I’ve acquired and rebuilt a trailer for her and we boot around to the small lakes in mid/upper Michigan. She’s a dusty old girl that has great bones and I look forward to bringing her back from the brink using some of your experiences in doing the same. My father and I sailed one design mono’s since the early 70’s (osprey, FD, Wayfarer, Lightning, Laser) and I always wanted a faster boat. Even as tired as she is my 14 STILL rips and tears and I can’t wait to power her up with a freshened setup. Again, fantastic story and account of it. I’ll try to keep current postings of my resto efforts as they progress.
Thanks!!
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JRK_14 wrote:
Thanks, rattle 'n hum, for your kind comment.

There are some rocky outcrops in our lake, waiting to snag the unsuspecting boater, so I prefer a frangible pin rather than risking ripping out the transom. Our lake is not that large, so limping home with a disabled rudder system in the event of a broken pin, while it would be a p.i.t.a., trumps hull structural damage in my case.

I ordered the new Hobie 5051 fiberglass pins because I was worried about the age and integrity of the old nylon pins, and as I said in my last post, was disappointed that they measured only .370” dia., .005” undersize. So, when I filled and drilled the gudgeons, I used a Letter U (.368”) and sanded the pins to achieve a satisfactory fit.

I have never experienced water in the mast, but when I asked the dealer why my boat turtled every time, he said it was the nature of the beast – just not enough buoyancy in the mast to prevent it. Righting it used to be a struggle, so I was easily sold on the mast float solution. Just to be safe, though, I’ll apply a bead of silicon to joints and rivet heads. Thanks for the heads-up!

Stay safe!

John

A good alternative is to make your own out of Delron rod. Much better than the fiberglass or nylon pins and not unforgiving like the aluminum ones. Ran them on my 16 for 10 years of racing with some beach launces...never an issue and pretty cheap to make.