Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All!

We are hoping to drive down to the Gulf Coast from the midwest and do some sailing Hobie type sailing. We could trailer our hobie 18 or rent if there are some good spots!

Any Suggestions?

Thanks!

Bored to Death, Covid Restricted Midwesterns!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in New Orleans and sail out of New Orleans Yacht Club. No real beach access into the lake for cats in New Orleans. I use a hoist at NOYC which is actually quite easy, although you do have to be skilled at docking a cat when you return from your sail. But New Orleans is a fun town!

Closest real cat sailing club to New Orleans is Ocean Spring Yacht Club, about an hour and a half east of New Orleans in Ocean Springs MS. Nice club with plenty of beach to sail on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. If you want to avoid yacht clubs, the Mississippi Gulf Coast has plenty of public beach access for cats with almost no surf. Feel free to PM me for local info.

If you wanted to rent a boat, I believe Key Sailing in Pensacola, FL rents Hobie Getaways.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know it's all relative, but February and March are pretty friggin' cold down here too. Even the exceptionally warm days aren't really pleasant for catsailing. Recommend you plan to go further down the FL peninsula....or at least rent a drier boat. And have plenty of rum on hand!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We rented a Hobie Getaway at Smathers Beach in Key West, a few years ago. We had to fix a couple of rigging problems, but no big deal.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anybody find any good Hobie Rental options in Fort Myers area??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Estero River outfitters rents Hobie pedal kayaks on the Estero River about 20 miles S of Ft Myers.
a bit pricey for me but they say apply a % of rental to purchase. nice easy but pedal only. I rented for 3 hours+ which is basically all day. they open at 7am everyday. they may have 1 tandem island for sale
239-992-4050
20991 South Tamiami trail
estero florida, 33928
it took me months of Craig’s list etc to find my 2017 AI
I only wanted 2015 or newer due to vantage seats, aka’s with dual bungees

i have started sailing my 2017 Hobie Adventure Island out of CapeCoral on Caloosahatchie near 4 mile Eco Preserve right across river from Ft Myers. i’m just a beginner. there’s a disabled vessel/wreck power boat on a shoal just south near where. i sail that i use as a visual aide for “where the heck am i” just north of preserve.
other than Estero River outfitters in Estero and Tackle Shack near Tampa in Pinellas Park (727-800-4143) i’m unaware of Hobie places.
there is a place in Naples , but much more limited hours from what i could tell.
i did see a trailer at Rosen park in Cape Coral that had Hobie cradle on the trailer but no kayak.