Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got a Hobie 16 that I've been restoring and was hoping for some advice on the jib.

There are small tears by jib batten ends where the battens were pushed through. What is the best course of repair? Sail tape and hand stitch over? Ideas?

Should this be tied or shackled? Parts diagram shows Hobie part 11220000, a 3/16" D shackle.

How much tension here?

Does Hobie part 22240000 include rivets? What do I use to set them (do I need a die or just a hammer and anvil?)

Anyone have recommendation for these grommets? Many of them are falling out.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can get all the materials you need to repair from places like sailmakerssupply.com, mcmaster.com, murrays.com, and your Hobie dealer. The only problem is you will probably have to buy more of some of the materials than you need, so you will have spares for later repairs.

The batten grommets can be easily replace. Mcmaster Carr sells grommet kits that include everything you need to set new grommets. I seem to recall the batten grommets are #4 size, but don't quote me on that. Check the dimensions and verify.

The clew plate can be ordered from Hobie or Murrays. I believe the come with rivets, so if you don't have a rivet tool, you can use machine screws and nuts. It's not as clean looking, but it works fine. Install the nuts with loctite so they don't unscrew, then trim off excess screw length and file the edges smooth.

For the batten pocket repair, you can order 6 or 8 ounce dacron sail material from sailmakerssupply. Also get 1/4" wide double sided tape and nylon thread. Remove the plastic batten pocket protector. Then cut your patch so it overlaps the tear, stick it down with the double sided tape, and then hand stitch it in place by going through the existing stitch holes on each side of hte batten pocket. Then reinstall the plastic batten protector using machine screws and nuts with loctite.

sm