Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This weekend I was trying to adjust the cam plate on my H16, which has way too much play in the rudders, and I have all kinds of problems with the cams getting stuck in the locked position. I could not budge either of the bolts, and had to resort to vise-grips to get them out. Once removed, there is still some kind of impediment, as I can't reinsert the bolt into the plate without considerable force.

I'm assuming the bolts are stainless? The plate is aluminum, but it appears to have a helical insert, presumably for strength. I can replace the bolts easily enough, but what should I get. Stainless? This is what the assembly instructions seem to call for. Hopefully I can clean out the cam plates with a tap, as I'd like to not replace them at $25 each!

Is this a dissimilar metals problem? If the stainless is causing the aluminum to corrode, then that would produce incredibly hard aluminum oxide, which would explain the difficulty in removal and reassembly. I'm wondering if I can just use some anti-seize compound? Has anyone else encountered this, and found a workable solution?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I see no replies, but in case anyone's interested, I think I've decided the problem was thread galling between the SS bolt and SS insert. I'm guessing anti-seize should deal with the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just had to do the same thing to my 14t's plates a week ago, My bolts were steel and were rusted in place.

I used stainless bolts and never-seize.

I use never-seize on EVERYTHING boat related even though all my boating is 99.9% fresh water.

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FYI.....TefGel or Lanacote is designed to hold up in marine applications. I have a small tub (lifetime supply) of Lanacote. Smells awful but works great! (I even use it on plumbing.)