Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My tiger has split / cracked on the seam close to the dagger well for the second time. I had this seam repaired once by a local shop but it has split again. Any suggestions on the repair see link to youtube video of the problem. https://youtu.be/2qdjapOPes0

10 Mile Surfside, Texas
Join us on our Facebook group: Surfside Sailing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe the Tigers have a foam core all the way down to the bottom of the hull (as opposed to the earlier Hobies which have solid fiberglass at the bottom of the hull.

I think you will need to remove all of the damaged foam first. Then, if it’s only a small area, I would just replace the foam with thickened epoxy and then glass over the bottom. If it’s a large area of damage, then I would probably use pour foam rather than epoxy and then glass over. My guess is that the boat has been dragged around on the beach, wearing through the first layer of glass and then damaging the foam core. These boats really need to be handled delicately on the beach, preferrably using beach wheels.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks just split at the seam from being worn down is all. The way I fixed foam core sandwiches is to CAREFULLY cut a slot open, then as the poster before suggested, fill with thickened epoxy. However, you're going to have to span the crack in the hull with fresh glass on the outside. Like probably a layer or 3 of 6 ounce. That means sanding back, etc. then fairing the patch in. Work - that's all there is to is. Lots of patience as you don't want to put the resin on thick, because you'll just end up weakening the patch and having to sand most off anyway.

Good luck.

Where do you sail out of? I notice you're from Surfside. I'm hitting the Texas City Dike Friday with my kids; 10 knots building to 15 in the afternoon; temps in the 80's.